Items on the beach overnight

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by BeachSiO2, Jul 15, 2007.

1. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

I know many don't see the Beach Breeze/Defuniak Herald so I thought I would post this article from July 12th that I found interesting. It looks like we will have more fireworks in addition to handcuffs on the beach. By the way, note that this will affect private individuals and vendors so let the funn begin..

Items left on beach to be removed

By DOTTY NIST

"Remove it or lose it," is now the rule in the evening on Walton County beaches.
    To alleviate what has been identified as "a severe problem," Walton County has initiated a coordinated approach to have beaches clear of clutter in the evenings. The clutter of chairs, awnings, umbrellas, and other items on the beach has long been a complaint of South Walton Turtle Watch volunteers.
    Federally-protected native sea turtles come onto the beach during their spring and fall nesting season, and their reproduction can be hampered by obstacles left on the beach in the evening. Human beachgoers can also run into or trip over these obstacles as they walk on the beach at night.
    On June 28, Pat Blackshear, county planning and development services director, announced a cooperative effort between the county, the tourism council, and the sheriff's office to address the problem.
    Blackshear explained that items left on the beach would be tagged and then removed after 24 hours if not taken off the beach by their owners. The policy applies both to private individuals and beach vendors, who are being notified by mail.
    Walton County Sheriff's Office and Walton County Code Enforcement personnel will share patrol and tagging duties. South Walton Tourist Development Council (TDC) personnel will pick up tagged items once the 24-hour period has elapsed, and owners will forfeit items that are picked up.
    TDC Executive Director Kriss Titus commented that, while Walton County's beaches have been honored by the Clean Beaches Council, she believes that the TDC has not been getting the message out about the importance of an uncluttered beach.
    She said the TDC plans a "remove it or lose it" marketing campaign and will post information on its web page urging visitors to comply.

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Like the Sheriff's Office and Code Enforcement have the (wo)manpower to do that job. They don't even direct traffic, much less fine illegal vehicles on the beach. Does Pat Blackshear go to the beach? Has she seen the lines of tents and cheap crap on the beaches, every day? I don't think so.

3. greenroomsurfer

greenroomsurfer Beach Fanatic

I already made this point on the environmental thread.

4. dunelover

dunelover Beach Fanatic

Just an fyi in regards to this. While at Dunes of Seagrove the trend over a period of days was to leave things under the walkover, not overnight, just during the day (during the needed afternoon naps)....Apparently, some owners were ticked that it was not a pretty sight and without warning all the stuff was dumped, some was taken to the maintenance office......So, my point.....Don't trust that your stuff is even safe during the day, move it or lose it!

5. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

If this is true, they might start over at the area shown on the www.bluemountainvillas.com website. Everytime I check it out early in the morning, there are chairs, umbrellas and TENTS :angry: that have obviously been left there overnight.

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

If the stuff was next to a TDC trashcan, the garbage people will remove it, thinking it is trash. Often the TDC trashcans are beside the walkover entrances on the beach. ;-)

7. seacrestkristi

seacrestkristi Beach Fanatic

:clap: :clap: :clap: that sheeet is hazardous and U-G-L-Y :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Mother Nature needs to look like nature not umbrella frames everywhere;-)

8. Bluznbeach

Bluznbeach Beach Lover

Amen, Kristi. It's unfortunate, but some people act like a public beach is their own private sandbox and just leave their stuff all over the place. This is not only bad for the turtles but is just discourteous to the humans.

9. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

I just have to relay this story- Last weekend, we were down at the beach early in the morning. My mother-in-law noticed a lamp, complete with shade, lying close to the shore. She started over to get it, but before she could grab it, a girl driving a black jeep w/ a Walton county beach permit, picked up the lamp and chucked it INTO THE WATER. My MIL was yelling at her to stop, then asked her why she would do such a thing. She answered "It was old and broken". Unreal.:cry:

The day before, we were talking to a family that had tent set-up in that same area I did politely explain about the turtles). Apparently on 4th of July, a group of people took over their tent and brought in lamps :)idontno: ) and had a party. What is the deal with the lamps? I didn't know there were plugs on the beach. And the a$$holes left a lamp behind-

10. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

I had heard some tents were cleared in Dune Allen and folks who left them out were not happy about it.

Daily, countywide enforcement isn't necessary, just enforcement along random stretches on a consistent basis. After a couple of seasons the word will get out.

Vendors could be enlisted to leave tags and provide info to authorities. They would probably be happy to do it since items left on the beach infringe and impeded their business.

11. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

I am slightly confused by your comments :dunno: . Is it that they are coming to the problem at the eleventh hour in a less than ideal manner? For the sake of optimism, how about throwing out a bone saying something along the lines of, "finally, they are trying something and good luck." Instead of coming out guns blazing with such negativity. This just seemed extremely pessimistic considering I know how much you (and others) have wanted to see this done for a while.

IMO, it gets back to spending time enforcing laws on the books and not creating new laws. As far as who's doing it, the cops and code enforcement are the only ones that can enforce the laws. How about a little optimism "smiling" joe? ;-)

I for one say, "good luck to all involved!"

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  12. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

What is the law regarding people taking stuff they find on the beach? I have seen some mighty fine equipment left out as the sun sets-is it considered abandoned and a 'finders keepers' rule takes effect?:dunno:

13. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

IMO, If it is abandoned at a publically owned beach access area like Grayton, I don't see why it would be any different then being left at any other public park and thus free game. For some reason, the people that go to the beach around here are too nice :D

14. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Every summer after the summer rental season ends, I gather up all of the stuff that has been abandoned at our private walkover, toss the broken stuff, and confiscate the good stuff. It's allowed me to provide beach chairs and beach toys for our renters so they don't have to add to the pollution by buying more stuff at Publix. I also do this in the off-season; if something is on the beach that was there on a previous visit, I remove it from the beach.

I was tempted to clean up the beach this week because of the unbelievable mess :bang: but was afraid I'd throw away something that belonged to a current renter.

15. newyorker

newyorker Beach Lover

We've been coming down to Seagrove/Seaside since 1995, and this year was the first one in which we found people actually "squatting" their places next to the water. (One big family at the complex where we stayed actually had 4 linked tents and lectured another couple about this "being the 4th of July"--somehow that was supposed to give them license to be obnoxious. In previous years, everyone sclepped their stuff back to their condos every night, and it was sort of "first come first served" in terms of getting a spot in the morning. My husband is a very non-confrontational sort of person, and usually he would tell me (I'm not that way) to chill out and we'd just move elsewhere.
    But this year, it frankly reminded me of the sort of "newyorkers" we came south to avoid--places were "saved" the entire week next to the water and people were quite pushy and obnoxious, and even my husband decided we too had to leave our stuff on the beach in order to have a place anywhere near the water. (at least we didn't have tents or lamps--just a few folding chairs and an umbrella).

16. InletBchDweller

InletBchDweller SoWal Insider

you know I do need some new chairs and umbrellas....so is this stealing??? or just cleaning up the area????:dunno: :D

17. Beachmom

Beachmom Beach Fanatic

Good ???? Just left Grayton, saw everything from toddler shoes to very nice tents set up.... Sure could use one of those for W. Indies Market!!!!!

18. dunelover

dunelover Beach Fanatic

Yes, it was near a trashcan---thanks for the tip.....

19. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Good luck.
    When reporting potential violations of environmental threats from people with track hoes, who can destroy a huge piece of property within hours, the Code Enforcement will typically arrive on the scene the following day. I have been for getting this crap off the beach for a long time, but if the Code Enforcement is so understaffed that they cannot even handle the seriously potential damaging acts, there is no way in heck that they, or our understaffed SO will be tagging and removing the thousands, yes thousands of pieces of crap from the beach.

Let's say that Pat's idea of tagging items, then removing them after 24 hours, goes through. Is the SO or CE going to recall which Walmart chair or umbrella or tent they tagged, so that they can then proceed to remove the items? Do you seriously think that the tent owner will not remove the tag?

Good luck.

I think it would be a cheaper alternative to pay a few people to clear the beach at dawn every day, and allow the collectors to keep and sell the crap which they collect. It wouldn't be tying up the Sheriff's deputies and the Code Enforcement from conducting important business like hauling beach goers to jail for sitting quietly on the beach.

20. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

That might be stretching it. What if I set up my two beach chairs, sat in them for a few hours, and decided to take an hour long walk down the beach and back, and I had planned to stay even later to watch the stars, yet when I come back, my chairs were taken. Does going for a walk or swim, constitute abandonment, like it does at The Retreat?