• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
They'll be fine - I used to swim in water that temperature (or colder) during the summer! The boys have it rougher though ;-).

Extended exposure to cold water or hypothermia can weaken your body's defenses (as it lowers your temp) but it isn't a major cause/effect that being cold or cold weather makes you sick. :wave:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Kate and Skunky's niece swam in the Gulf today for more than an hour. I about passed out watching them.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
There were a couple of kids swimming in the outfall near Gulf all day. Our kids used to go in during the Christmas holidays when we lived in Alaska and had come down for vacation. May try to go watch Polar Bear event at WaterColor in am.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Skunky's niece doesn't shock me. That's one tough little girl. :blink:

:lolabove:...omc, I am obsessed with her. I can't wait to see punz and skunky to hear some stories!

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
The coldest the Gulf ever gets in the winter is still warmer than lakes back home in MN ever get in the summer and people swim in them. It is all perspective. The first time I ever visited the ocean, it was in December and it didn't bother me at all to go right in.
Now I have to psych myself up first to go in. :shock:

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
The first time I ever visited the ocean, it was in December and it didn't bother me at all to go right in.
Now I have to psych myself up first to go in. :shock:

And all the locals could see is a man with legs and torso so white that he was glowing as he ran headlong into the surf I'm sure. :rotfl:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It really is all what you are used to - when I was younger I would swim in frigid water in Northern Sasketchewan or Rockies snowmelt so fresh we had snowball fights w/ the source. After years in Florida either would probably now give me a heart attack.

My parents visited Sowal in early April one year and thought the Gulf was too warm for swimming. :rofl: