• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
are we talking yellow jacket sting?

or worse?

and what are we supposed to do to our kids when they get stung? I heard Peeing on them in public is not encouraged anymore... that there is something better.

any input appreciated.

Thanks

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
See the Jellyfish thread before it veers off into a discussion of Oprah and her...nevermind.

Stay in the water and soak out the sting. Works for my family. Unless the water is full of them, which has not been the case whenever we have been in the Gulf.

Some say Windex.

Peeing on it is so yesterday, like "Survivor".

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
I was told to put vinegar on them, but my kids said it hurt worse when we did that a few weeks ago. I've since read an article in the newspaper that said vinegar doesn't work. Instead it said, as JDarg said, to leave it in the salt water...

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Isn't the pee effective because of ammonia? If so, wouldn't anything with ammonia work?

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Vinegar stops any unfired nematocysts from firing which is the part of the tentacles that sting. Beyond that it does little for the after effect.

I sat on a man-o-war when I was a kid. Looked like somebody hit the back of my leg with a red hot coat hangar.