• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I keep a small bottle of cheap meat tenderizer in my "beach bag" if they are known to be in the area. Just take some of the salt water and make a thick paste with it and apply to affected area.

Last edited:

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
It does not hurt, not nearly as bad as a bee sting, more of an itchy irritant. Please don't get anyone to pee on you at the beach.

this is directly relative to where you are stung and how much...the one i got this weekend felt like a (hot initially) and then a irritated mild burn for several hours...i was swimming all morning and thought "if i had gotten snagged across the face and neck???"...it would be pretty rough.:eek:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yellow jacket stings are the worst, regarding the actual sting. When I was stung by jellies, I never felt the sting until I exited the water. Hop is correct that it depends on where you are stung, how many tentacles get you, and how long the tentacles are.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Yellow jacket stings are the worst, regarding the actual sting. When I was stung by jellies, I never felt the sting until I exited the water. Hop is correct that it depends on where you are stung, how many tentacles get you, and how long the tentacles are.

You sure you got hit by yellow jackets? This is about the 3rd time I've heard you describe how painful it is--I never thought they were THAT bad. Asian Hornets look like large yellow jackets, and I've heard tell that their sting "will make you wish you were dead."

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm sure they were yellow jackets. Been torn up by wasps as well. I may be a little mentally scarred by a few incidents of mass stingings with nowhere to hide. The yellow jackets hurt more because there were more stings. Ever try running with a big @ss weedeater strapped around your neck and still running, while being chased and stung by a swarm of yellow jackets and you are basically in the middle of a field with no shelter? That crap hurts. Put me in a pond with alligators any day of the week but keep those yellow jackets the hell out of my face. For me, the yellow jacket stings are about as painful as a Tetanus shot.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
I'm sure they were yellow jackets. Been torn up by wasps as well. I may be a little mentally scarred by a few incidents of mass stingings with nowhere to hide. The yellow jackets hurt more because there were more stings. Ever try running with a big @ss weedeater strapped around your neck and still running, while being chased and stung by a swarm of yellow jackets and you are basically in the middle of a field with no shelter? That crap hurts. Put me in a pond with alligators any day of the week but keep those yellow jackets the hell out of my face. For me, the yellow jacket stings are about as painful as a Tetanus shot.

Man.....I have this mental image....:eek: God luv ya!

This reminds me of mr. dd up on top of the house and just know that he is terrified of wasps, yellow jackets, bees, you name it. Well, he was up on top of the house and a wasp was after him..I can only imagine what went through his mind. He swatted frantically at the thing...not good. He cut his hand on something and the wasp got him anyway. Then he had to climb down. And, to make matters worse, we were leaving the next morning to go to Kerrville to the YO Social Club Annual Party and we weren't about to miss THAT, so we went anyway--with his hand swollen about three times it's normal size. All the pictures show him in his biker costume and HUGE hand! :yikes: God luv him too.

NoHall

May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA

Not with a weedeater, but I have run away with a chainsaw! That time, I wasn't the one being stung. My buddy was taking them for the team.

Man.....I have this mental image....:eek: God luv ya!

This reminds me of mr. dd up on top of the house and just know that he is terrified of wasps, yellow jackets, bees, you name it. Well, he was up on top of the house and a wasp was after him..I can only imagine what went through his mind. He swatted frantically at the thing...not good. He cut his hand on something and the wasp got him anyway. Then he had to climb down. And, to make matters worse, we were leaving the next morning to go to Kerrville to the YO Social Club Annual Party and we weren't about to miss THAT, so we went anyway--with his hand swollen about three times it's normal size. All the pictures show him in his biker costume and HUGE hand! :yikes: God luv him too.

I've done that, too, on a 50-ft. ladder.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yikes, DD!!! :yikes:Glad that wasn't me because I would have jumped! Did I tell you that I once lived in a rental house which had a Yellow Jacket hive in the exterior wall of the house? There was no A/C in the house so we always had the window open (with crappy screens), and about every day, 1-4 yellow jacket would find its way inside and face death by the fly swatter. They ain't just for flies. That property also had two yellow jacket nests in the yard and they chased my dog on occasion. He dislikes the buzzing insects so much that he will catch them in his mouth and kill them. After three months of complaining about the hive in the wall of the house, the landlord (fairly crazy man with no fear of getting stung) came out and sprayed the hives and killed them.

NoHall

May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Yikes, DD!!! :yikes:Glad that wasn't me because I would have jumped! Did I tell you that I once lived in a rental house which had a Yellow Jacket hive in the exterior wall of the house? There was no A/C in the house so we always had the window open (with crappy screens), and about every day, 1-4 yellow jacket would find its way inside and face death by the fly swatter. They ain't just for flies. That property also had two yellow jacket nests in the yard and they chased my dog on occasion. He dislikes the buzzing insects so much that he will catch them in his mouth and kill them. After three months of complaining about the hive in the wall of the house, the landlord (fairly crazy man with no fear of getting stung) came out and sprayed the hives and killed them.

DON'T SQUISH 'EM! :yikes: You have to spray those little bat-turds! They have the same pheremone as killer bees--when one stings or is crushed, the others swarm. That's why you're usually stung by more than one at a time. (That, and their irritating ability to sting more than once.)