• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I took my car to a similar chain who claimed that the car had a leaking head gasket - they found oil in the antifreeze. My mechanic could find no such leak & the only explanation he could think of is that the chain mistakenly put oil in the antifreeze. :bang: I refuse to go back there after this incident!

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
John R said:

My son is an Assistant Manager at a Jiffy Lube in Cordova. He has never himself done anything like the above. He is very good at servicing cars. Has never messed up anything ever on a vehicle. Granted, at a previous Jiffy Lube he worked at before he transferred to this current location, they had some questionably immature employees I would not let touch my car. I will only let my son do the work on my car. That kind of thing does not go on at all locations. Not aware of what goes on at the store he works at. Just spoke to my son at his work and he told me he thought he knew what it was. It supposedly is involving some Jiffy Lube stores in California. They are charging for transmission flushes and not doing them. But dealerships and other auto repair establishments are notorious for charging for things and not doing them, even destroying things on people's cars and going to them and saying this is broken. Hidden cameras have caught them doing that.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
The Jiffy Lube type places are convenient but I hate the hard sell routine you endure while waiting for your car. "Your air filter is dusty, your wiperblades are tacky, coolant is cloudy, manufacturer recommends your AC be tuned up now" etc, etc. I now go to the dealership;they change the oil about as quick as Jiffy without the hard sell in roughly the same amount of time for $23, and they check all the important stuff too. I feel so sorry for people who cave to the hard sell and shell out $25 for a new airfilter ($8 at Autozone) and such. :bang:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
I know 30A Skunkape, but since my son works for them, I know why they push extras. Each store has to meet a daily ticket sales average. And I think it is around $55 they have to try and average. So that is why they push those extra services. Managers have been let go from not meeting that ticket average. My son started out there doing nothing but vacuuming out cars for a good while before they let him start doing the servicing of vehicles. That is the procedure followed with each new employee! And the work they do is hard work. It is hot in those bays and down in that pit underneath a car.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
From my experience, they are less pushy at the Valvoline stores.

But I don't recall having seen one locally (I'd look at my phone book but I'm out of town today).