June Grass free water?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by dunelover, Sep 1, 2010.

1. dunelover

dunelover Beach Fanatic

Any area where the June grass isn't so thick right now? Just wondering if it varies from area to area. We are in Dune Allen and ready for some clear blue water, but willing to travel...

2. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

Hey, as you know, we were in the area and you are right, the June grass is as thick as spinach. But we had lunch on Monday at the Back Porch in Destin and the water along there was clear, beautiful, and fabulous as always. There are several public beach accesses around there. Enjoy!

3. zip3

zip3 Beach Lover

I am in Seagrove and the water is full of June grass. This has gone on all summer and I can't remember this happening before. Well, this is nature and I think it has to do with the hot summer causing super grass blooms.

4. familyof3

familyof3 Beach Lover

Wow June Grass still there! It was there in June. It was everywhere then however. I have been reading in the Destin forums it has been clear for a while now.

Okay I can't help but wonder what is up? Several years ago we stayed in Fort Walton. June Grass horrible it was already stinking and it was May. Drove over to Destin no Grass. This year the grass cleared out in Destin way earlier than sowal. I can't help but wonder is there something to do with the coast line that clears it out. Like does the pass push it along? I heard this once but did not put much thought to it. Now I am beginning to wonder.

5. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

New name- September Grass.

Wonder if we will have October Grass.

Personally I like Bluegrass. Don't like Wheatgrass though:puke:.

6. megawisdumb

megawisdumb Beach Comber

Anyone know where is starts and stops approx. Came to surf fish and dune allen appears to be ground zero! Shame too because our rental house is 20 feet from the water....full of June grass. Any tips are welcome. Going to dingy out beyond it but would prefer some sand in my toes.

7. nodilberthere

nodilberthere Beach Fanatic

We just got back from 12 days on Anna Maria Island in the Gulf. We thought it was just going to be a once-and-done thing there and that we'd be heading back to Grayton next year. But, I have to say that it was so nice to NOT worry about June grass and red flags.......we had 12 days on AMI of crystal clear water and perfect swimming every day, even after nightly storms. The locals didn't even know what June Grass was....

Last year we had 12 days in Grayton with over half the days being red flag and the other half full of june grass. I think we had two really beautiful and clear beach days out of 12 or so. The year before that, same thing. We would drive thousands of miles to sit on the beach and look at the ocean.......

I love the area, the sand is really white and the beaches are beautiful, but finicky. And I'll miss the Donut Hole. But sadly, I don't think we'd take the chance on June grass and red flags again, now that I've seen what another part of the gulf is like. :-(

8. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

:wave:

9. megawisdumb

megawisdumb Beach Comber

I'll have to look into AMI. We've done St. George many times by the water is murky from all the fresh water from appcola bay.

10. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

AMI is so far south. One of the reasons we like to go to the Panhandle is the 10+ hour car drive from Louisville. Take as much stuff in the van with the bikes and stop whenever. Traveling by air isn't so attractive anymore unless the destination is more than one day away by car.
    I do agree that the water situation has been frustrating these past few years. Either double red flags or June grass. Sometimes only one or 2 days per stay are pleasant for venturing into the water.
    When that happens, there is so much more to do - not always exciting:) - but dull things like walking, riding bikes, eating out, watching free movies and plays outside, free concerts, sitting at the edge of water in sand chairs, sitting on a screened in porch, reading a book, spending time with family and friends.
    I will admit though, the times I've been to other beaches recently and it was calm and clear the whole time and we lived in that water.
    Unless you 'get it' about 30A I can understand going elsewhere. After the oil disaster, I'm afraid a lot of people went somewhere else and may have enjoyed it more.
    Good for me but bad for the people who live and work near 30A. We came down twice this summer and booked again for December and next June.
    Can't wait.
    Ellen

11. PC

PC Beach Lover

Was ready to book a place and head down to sowal but that grass is just not going anywhere, so as of now we have decided to just not come. Does anyone know of a place in the panhandle besides PCB that is free of June grass?

Thanks

12. WhiskeyRiver

WhiskeyRiver Beach Lover

We are heading down next week and have been hearing horror stories of sea slugs and june grass - what's the status now? thanks

13. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

Well, I guess everyone's preference is different and I totally get that. Growing up on the East Coast with murky surf, the june grass is nothing.....step out in faith that something doesn't gitcha! I even took a night swim recently in all of that june grass. Some kind of little fish do bump into your ankles.....I guess that's what they are and what they're doing.......I really don't know. :blink:

I do really love St. George Island, too!!! Charming and sleepy. ;-)

14. MRBS

MRBS Beach Lover

Arrived seagrove 9-4. Sea slugs yes! Horrified b/c thought were tarballs. So relieved were just slugs (as reported prior were nudibranches). About 2 days in they all disappeared. June grass only in spots in AM. We relished our time - swimming, napping, walking, reading, eating. Was apprehensive from afar, but everything was beautiful, honest!

15. missourigrl

missourigrl Beach Comber

Have been in Seagrove all week. The grass was horrible when we first got here but the last two days it has cleared up a lot. Saw a few sea slugs but not many.

16. WhiskeyRiver

WhiskeyRiver Beach Lover

Thanks for info. Just looked at SGB beach cam and it looks better than it did yesterday. One week and counting..... :)

17. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

18. missourigrl

missourigrl Beach Comber

Would you mind to share the link to the SGB webcam? We just got home and I'm already having withdrawal lol.

19. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

Due to the thick june grass, I stepped on a couple of Atlantic Blues last weekend. The second one pinched my little toe so hard, I thought he drew blood! Looks like they are molting....isn't it late in the season for soft shells?

(When I screamed and flailed, my man type friend ran in the other direction.) :lol:

20. laivk

laivk Beach Crab

Hi friends, Thanks for sharing some good information which is useful. I am new to the forum and i am glad to be here.

Thanks
    msds authoring services