• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Hey, as you know, we were in the area and you are right, the June grass is as thick as spinach. But we had lunch on Monday at the Back Porch in Destin and the water along there was clear, beautiful, and fabulous as always. There are several public beach accesses around there. Enjoy!

zip3

Beach Lover
Jul 24, 2010
I am in Seagrove and the water is full of June grass. This has gone on all summer and I can't remember this happening before. Well, this is nature and I think it has to do with the hot summer causing super grass blooms.

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
Wow June Grass still there! It was there in June. It was everywhere then however. I have been reading in the Destin forums it has been clear for a while now.

Okay I can't help but wonder what is up? Several years ago we stayed in Fort Walton. June Grass horrible it was already stinking and it was May. Drove over to Destin no Grass. This year the grass cleared out in Destin way earlier than sowal. I can't help but wonder is there something to do with the coast line that clears it out. Like does the pass push it along? I heard this once but did not put much thought to it. Now I am beginning to wonder.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
New name- September Grass.

Wonder if we will have October Grass.

Personally I like Bluegrass. Don't like Wheatgrass though:puke:.

megawisdumb

Beach Comber
Jun 16, 2009
Anyone know where is starts and stops approx. Came to surf fish and dune allen appears to be ground zero! Shame too because our rental house is 20 feet from the water....full of June grass. Any tips are welcome. Going to dingy out beyond it but would prefer some sand in my toes.

nodilberthere

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2007
Anyone know where is starts and stops approx. Came to surf fish and dune allen appears to be ground zero! Shame too because our rental house is 20 feet from the water....full of June grass. Any tips are welcome. Going to dingy out beyond it but would prefer some sand in my toes.

We just got back from 12 days on Anna Maria Island in the Gulf. We thought it was just going to be a once-and-done thing there and that we'd be heading back to Grayton next year. But, I have to say that it was so nice to NOT worry about June grass and red flags.......we had 12 days on AMI of crystal clear water and perfect swimming every day, even after nightly storms. The locals didn't even know what June Grass was....

Last year we had 12 days in Grayton with over half the days being red flag and the other half full of june grass. I think we had two really beautiful and clear beach days out of 12 or so. The year before that, same thing. We would drive thousands of miles to sit on the beach and look at the ocean.......

I love the area, the sand is really white and the beaches are beautiful, but finicky. And I'll miss the Donut Hole. But sadly, I don't think we'd take the chance on June grass and red flags again, now that I've seen what another part of the gulf is like. :-(

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:wave:

megawisdumb

Beach Comber
Jun 16, 2009
I'll have to look into AMI. We've done St. George many times by the water is murky from all the fresh water from appcola bay.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
AMI is so far south. One of the reasons we like to go to the Panhandle is the 10+ hour car drive from Louisville. Take as much stuff in the van with the bikes and stop whenever. Traveling by air isn't so attractive anymore unless the destination is more than one day away by car.
I do agree that the water situation has been frustrating these past few years. Either double red flags or June grass. Sometimes only one or 2 days per stay are pleasant for venturing into the water.
When that happens, there is so much more to do - not always exciting:) - but dull things like walking, riding bikes, eating out, watching free movies and plays outside, free concerts, sitting at the edge of water in sand chairs, sitting on a screened in porch, reading a book, spending time with family and friends.
I will admit though, the times I've been to other beaches recently and it was calm and clear the whole time and we lived in that water.
Unless you 'get it' about 30A I can understand going elsewhere. After the oil disaster, I'm afraid a lot of people went somewhere else and may have enjoyed it more.
Good for me but bad for the people who live and work near 30A. We came down twice this summer and booked again for December and next June.
Can't wait.
Ellen