• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

photocat

Beach Comber
Feb 19, 2005
Hi All,

I've posted a couple times but mostly lurked. This is an AWESOME site and has provided a lot of useful information. I hope to return the favor, especially to fellow lurkers and soon-to-be vacationers. Sorry in advance for the length.

I just got back from getting married in Seaside and honeymooning in Seacrest. While there, we drove to Okaloosa Island to the very western edge of Panama City and many stops inbetween.

The last time we vacationed there it was Sept 2001 (just after the 11th of all things) so it has been awhile and one major hurricane since I've been there. Many changes and/or a somewhat foggy memory, but here is what I can report.

Buildings
Most of the structures don't show any sign of hurricane damage. A few blue tarps remain - more so in the Destin / Ft. Walton area than 30-A but a few roof repairs were taking place in Seacrest while we were there.

A ton of new construction. How many high rise condos can go in one small area of Destin?! I can't imagine peak season with all of those rooms filled to capacity - can you even get out of the parking lot? They all seem like lovely buildings but it seems a bit overwhelming.

A ton of "for sale" signs everywhere. I'm not sure if that is typical and/or seasonal or a fear of increased hurricane activity - or some combination of all three.

Beaches
The ones I saw included (from west to east): Destin (by the Crabtrap restaurant); Dune Allen, Blue Mountain, Seaside, Seagrove, Seacrest.

All of the dunes I saw have been rebuilt nicely - many with newly planted sea oats and newly constructed fences. The most shocking (and sad) was the fact, there is hardly a beach left.

I knew from the "since Ivan" shots, the beach was going to be noticeably smaller - I just wasn't expecting it to be that signficant. We stayed in the Monterey Condos in Seacrest and beach service set up a few feet from the newly constructed fences on the dunes. High tide often rolled in under those beach chairs only a few feet from the bottom of the dunes. One morning (not high tide) a line of thunderstorms moved through and the waves were coming in right at the bottom of the dunes.

Sand
Since there was little beach, most of the sand was packed down from tides and not that white fluffly soft sand I remembered walking on and digging my toes into from Sept 2001. (That white fluffy sand is stacked nicely on the dunes though). It was also more sand color (not white) perhaps because it was wet and a lot of black sand marbled throughout. In all the places we stopped, I thought Seaside's beach actually looked the worst compared to the others. But I still got married in that sand nonetheless (and wouldn't have it any other way!) :D

Weather
This is my first April trip (4/21 - 4/30). We had one stormy morning that cleared up by lunch and sunny the rest of the time - no complaints there. Temps ranged in the low 70's most of the time. The only complaint I did have is the wind. It was unrelenting the entire time we were there. I think there may have been one "green flag" day where you could swim in the gulf - if you didn't mind the fact it was pretty cold water. The rest of the days were yellow or red flag days and the gulf was churned up constantly (no emerald green waters). The wind made it too cold to sit out on the balcony to enjoy the gulf - early in the week beach goers on the beach, in the sun, were wrapped up in towels, long pants and sweatshirts. If the wind wasn't so bad, it would have been perfect weather. Inland at the shops, it was still windy but not as bad, or as cold.

We enjoyed dining at Goatfeathers, Pandora's, Shades, Bud and Alleys, and the Crabtrap as well as hitting all the shops.

We'll be back - not sure if we'll do an April trip again just because it was too cold and windy for us to enjoy our normal hanging out at the beach (and we like to take a dip in the gulf too - definitely too cold for that).

We like Sept/October however that whole hurricane thing is a bit risky then (we were scheduled to get married in October and had to postpone due to Ivan).

I also hope they don't gate up all of the communities because we also like to see the houses and also look for new vacation spots when we are down there. There seemed to be a lot of gated communities (including our condo) preventing such traffic. I can understand why they do it but it is a bit prohibitive to attracting new future customers.

Off to get some much needed sleep after my fun adventures on 30-A.

Sue

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Hi Sue! Thanks for the great info. The "for sale" signs everywhere are people cashing in and turning properties. It's a reflection of the hot market.

The high water is a result of a very stormy month or two and the beach scraping. It will take some time for new sand to be deposited on the beach where it has been removed and pushed up along the dune line.

Congrats and all the best.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Good report, photocat. Sorry to hear about the beaches. Sounds like they are in even worse shape than I imagined. I know it took more than five years after Opal for them to become semi-normal looking. Such a shame.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
..and the weather services predict stronger than normal hurricane activity for the next decade or so. in my section of seacrest, at least half the beach is black exposed peat rock due to the storms and scraping. :sosad: i know brad pickel keeps saying the wind will bring it back eventually, but it's hard to imagine waiting five years.

seems so logical to me to replenish the beach, as it would be valuable protection to the gulffront structures and to the tourist industry that helps drive the south walton economy. i know, some people are worried about sand color and whether it would increase the amt. of traffic on one's "private" beachfront, but that seems like not seeing the forest for the trees. (having 50-100' more beachfront would keep tourists *farther* from your property, wouldn't that be right?) i'd love to hear thoughts on this (on another thread.)

anyway, THANKS for a wonderful trip review, we'd all love to see more of these! :clap_1: ps, it was an unusually blustery weather week last week, all along the southeast coast. not always that chilly in April.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
We're in better shape now than after Opal. If it wasn't for the beach scraping we'd be back to normal as far as sand on the beach, except for the dune line, which would have taken longer.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
What is the purpose of beach scraping? Do they move the sand they scrape up to the dunes? And then how long does it take to get the white quartz sand to build up again? From the Grayton pictures Kurt posted lately, the beach looks great. Are there some areas worse than others?
Didn't Seaside "import" sand right after Ivan?

Tina

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Ocean Lover said:
What is the purpose of beach scraping? Do they move the sand they scrape up to the dunes? And then how long does it take to get the white quartz sand to build up again? From the Grayton pictures Kurt posted lately, the beach looks great. Are there some areas worse than others?
Didn't Seaside "import" sand right after Ivan?

Tina

Yes - the beach scraping was to build the dunes where they were washed away along the fronts. All for naught if sea oats (to be planted shortly) don't have time to take hold and a big storm comes in the next couple of years.

Grayton Beach has all new sand on it and was not scraped.