• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I have never heard a fisherman complain about a lack of fishing access.

Not to mention that it is about 20 miles from most of 30a to get to the pier in PC.

We don't need to destroy Grayton with another giant pier.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
What is the state's position on this? If the state is opposed, it's unlikely to happen. On the other hand, if the state wants it for revenue, one wonders if the idea originated with Rick Scott's bunch.

spaglioni

Beach Lover
Dec 31, 2012
I sent my note to the commissioner in our area expressing my disappointment at the proposed use of BP funds to build a pier. That is a ridiculous project.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
South Walton residents have made it clear any future fishing pier development in the Grayton Beach state park is unnecessary.

"That money could be spent to renourish the beaches" said Seagrove Beach Resident Rawlins McKinney.

"Any development like that will destroy this beautiful dune network" said Seacrest Beach Resident Tom Wolfe.

"Well the infrastructure on 30-a is already stressed to the max and to add to that seems like a dumb idea" said Seacrest Resident Chris Wolfe.

"We like it like it is. It's beautiful it's pristine. We don't want to ruin the dunes" said Seagrove Beach Resident Angela McKinney.

"When you put a sixteen hundred piece of concrete out into the ocean you're going to affect sea life, bird life and our life” said Watercolor Resident Kathy Houlihan.

Cliff Knauer is the man who first suggested the pier, as part of the overall department of Environmental Protection Park Management Plan. It also included more parking spaces. But the pier never came up during last year's public hearings.

"In order to get the pier in their management plan it would've had to be a part of their public hearings last year so the chances of a pier going in Grayton State Park at this time are pretty much zero" said Preble Rish Engineering Vice President Cliff Knauer.

The additional parking is also on-hold. Residents against the pier are cautiously optimistic.

"Well relief because we want Grayton Beach to remain this spectacular, pristine, natural scenic park" said Rosemary Beach Resident Clair Bannerman.

"But at the same time I’m a little bit skeptical that perhaps it's off the planning books for the moment but who knows when it might crawl back up again" said Santa Rosa Beach Resident Glenda Wood.

Despite their opposition to the pier, residents agree with Knauer that an artificial reef would be a great alternative.

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/SoWal-Residents-Concerned-About-Pier-Project-207775311.html?device=tablet#.UZWVnsu9KSM

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
A fishing pier should not even come up - sounds like a money grab. So many smart great ideas have been offered.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Glad to hear they backed off that fiasco in the making. I still feel that they should not be allowed to spend one penny of any funds coming from BP until AFTER we have our first hurricane in this area. There is no telling what will wash up and how much it will cost to clean it up. And I am pretty sure that once BP makes that huge payment they will consider it final and we will be stuck with any further cost. Just because we get the money doesnt mean we have to spend it all THAT day.

Last edited:

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
$20 million dollars was the cost I heard recently.

Ridiculous waste of money.

What the hell are they thinking?

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I agree with spending the money on infrastructure (water quality, water safety, traffic, beach quality, dune quality, hurricane recovery, oil spill recovery) first, however I may be in a minority but a fishing pier would provide a beautiful addition for outdoor enjoyment of our natural resources. I envision a walk out "in" the gulf while the sun sets reflecting back inspiring images of color and wonder. Man and nature working together to enhance our spirit and appreciation for life. Those of us who like to fish will be drawn to the pier instead of the beaches making it win win for all who enjoy the gulf. It sounds like it aint going to happen but here is my "2nd" vote for the pier...