• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I really dont mind the pier itself but the placement in Grayton borders insanity. They are all about alleviating traffic problems but want to build this thing and create even more problems on 30A. But since you dont travel 30A that much you probably dont really understand. I invite you to come on over this afternoon about 2ish and enjoy a little drive down our little 2 lane scenic highway we call "the A".

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I agree with you about the location and the traffic problems and would want those issues dealt with BEFORE not after. I do understand about traffic on the A since many of my routes take me from one end to the other. I believe there is a bad accident waiting to happen with Pedestrians, bicycles, cars and trucks all competing for space.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
There is a large pier less than 20 miles away from the proposed grayton location (in PCB).

No need to spend millions and ruin Grayton.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Why would it have to be at Grayton Beach? I am sure we could find another location. For all those who want artificial reefs, well what better way than with a pier! IMO a pier does not take anything away from the beauty of our coast line so what is the problem. More traffic? What about the thousands of NEW beds that are under construction? I understand the cost is prohibitive but if BP foots the bill...

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
It was the idea of the BCC for it to be at Grayton. I dont mind one as long as it is say..in Miramar Beach...maybe Inlet Beach...maybe Sandestin will go along for the ride. But NOT in one of the most pristine state parks in the state. As I said before they should not even be thinking about what they will do with BP money. Its not in hand yet and hurricane season starts one week from today.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
#5 (out of 5) on the list - "Acquire gulf access land for parking and public walkovers."

THIS SHOULD BE THE #1 OPTION - BAR NONE!

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
Agreed on using the money to buy all available beachfront property and turning it into parks. Public access to beaches is very important.

JodiFL, the "not in my backyard" attitude is not welcome. What makes you think Miramar Beach, Inlet, or Sandestin want a $20MM eyesore?

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I was being facetious with that comment. I dont think that anyone in any area of Walton county want this thing.
I dont want it AT ALL. I will drive minutes to the east or about 45 minutes to the west if I want to go to a pier.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I fail to see the difference between someone building a house or a condo on the beach blocking views for the rest of us and destroying the beach and dune ecology not to mention the loss of "sunset views" with building a pier. I do understand the parking and traffic problems but those problems need to be solved first anyway. Something is not adding up in this negative reaction to a pier. I would rather have less homes and businesses build on the beach than the building of a pier. Could it be that those reacting against the pier have already secured their own private sunset views? I would like to know how many that own property on the beach would choose not to have a pier?