• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I saw some sitework going on acress from Draper Lake in Forest Lake and so went in to see who was building what.

Turns out it will be a Katrina Cottage. The Owner of T.A. Turner Construction told me that as many as a dozen may be going in there. The set of plans he was working from will be a 1,200 ft^2 home.

Katrina Cottages are new urban designs that Duany and the New urban Guild Foundation came up with immediately after Katrina.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
The builder told me they get the materials in a big package from Lowes and because it is all one source, the package is something like 15% lower than normal.
May become some affordable housing right along 30-A.

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
The builder told me they get the materials in a big package from Lowes and because it is all one source, the package is something like 15% lower than normal.
May become some affordable housing right along 30-A.

Are they shotgun houses?

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Are they shotgun houses?

Yeah.

home2.jpg

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
1200 sf heated/cooled is a decent size for a small family vacation cottage where you only plan to really sleep and occasionally eat in there. You can do without the trophy bathroom for a couple weeks a year.

My parents' little cottage on the lake is like 750 sf tops on grade with one of those scary root cellar-like basements that are only fit to store the kayaks in underneath.

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
I did not bookmark the page, but read earlier that the Katrina Cottage is designed to be a temporary residence. The cost based on the Lowe's package is $100 per SF. No idea as to finishes, construction, appliances, etc., but that does not sound like a wonderful deal.

The builder at the linked website offers to build cottages for a little over $100 per SF. I don't know the builder or anything about his reputation or methods but one has to wonder about the Katrina Cottage pricing, especially if they are shotgun houses.

http://steveingramhomes.com/cottageplans.html

I did not bookmark the page, but read earlier that the Katrina Cottage is designed to be a temporary residence. The cost based on the Lowe's package is $100 per SF. No idea as to finishes, construction, appliances, etc., but that does not sound like a wonderful deal.

The builder at the linked website offers to build cottages for a little over $100 per SF. I don't know the builder or anything about his reputation or methods but one has to wonder about the Katrina Cottage pricing, especially if they are shotgun houses.

http://steveingramhomes.com/cottageplans.html

I don't know the builder, but that is an excellent website. I wish him good fortune, safety and luck. This area needs more builders who build for authentic pricing. Maybe with a few more like this it will break up the undercurrent group and expose some truth.