• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melissa

Beach Lover
Jun 15, 2005
much too far from Grayton
I just wanted to add something regarding the now locked thread about the dunes. Thanks to Kurt and Smiling Joe for recognizing the new signs behind the Red Bar.
We painted the signs and put them up with the permission of the homeowner. (Thanks Aunt Debra!!) We were staying at Sunset II last week, and we were frustrated with the number of people that walked through there. After reading this message board for the last month or so, I have realized how damaging two walking feet can be to the dune system! While standing on the deck looking at the dunes, I told my family about the effects people have on them, and they now feel strongly about it also!
Our first night there a photographer and his clients parked at the house and then proceeded to walk that 'path' through the dunes. We called out to him, saying that he was not supposed to do that. He responded by saying, "It's OK. I've been doing this for over two years." I was furious!! The following night he was there again, and this time his clients took a stroller with them! We decided then that we needed to make the signs.
Then those boys moved in at Margaritaville. They dragged chairs and a wheelie cooler through there! And that was after we put up the signs!!
I was so happy to read that Smilng JOe busted one of them after the signs were up!
Thanks again!! :D
Sorry for the long note!

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
melissa said:
I just wanted to add something regarding the now locked thread about the dunes. Thanks to Kurt and Smiling Joe for recognizing the new signs behind the Red Bar.
We painted the signs and put them up with the permission of the homeowner. (Thanks Aunt Debra!!) We were staying at Sunset II last week, and we were frustrated with the number of people that walked through there. After reading this message board for the last month or so, I have realized how damaging two walking feet can be to the dune system! While standing on the deck looking at the dunes, I told my family about the effects people have on them, and they now feel strongly about it also!
Our first night there a photographer and his clients parked at the house and then proceeded to walk that 'path' through the dunes. We called out to him, saying that he was not supposed to do that. He responded by saying, "It's OK. I've been doing this for over two years." I was furious!! The following night he was there again, and this time his clients took a stroller with them! We decided then that we needed to make the signs.
Then those boys moved in at Margaritaville. They dragged chairs and a wheelie cooler through there! And that was after we put up the signs!!
I was so happy to read that Smilng JOe busted one of them after the signs were up!
Thanks again!! :D
Sorry for the long note!

Long is good!!! :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1: Great job on the sign!!!!

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
LOVE it. :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

Promise I will never tromp through there again, now that I know better. What a nice way to get the word out. Now how about adding a little chain rope between two poles. That way strollers can't get through, and drunks will trip. :laughing1

Great job!!

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
melissa said:

Sounds to me like SJ might have a good shot at photographing an offending photographer! It'd be interesting to find out who the photographer is so we could steer future dune-loving guests away from him and in the direction of "dune-friendly" photographers

melissa

Beach Lover
Jun 15, 2005
TooFarTampa said:
LOVE it. :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

Promise I will never tromp through there again, now that I know better. What a nice way to get the word out. Now how about adding a little chain rope between two poles. That way strollers can't get through, and drunks will trip. :laughing1

Great job!!

We thought about it, but were afraid that someone would tear it down... The tripping would provide some entertainment for those of us watching!! :evil: hee hee!
Maybe we can do that on our next trip down!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Hi Melissa!

As you know that open spot beside the sign isn't very big, and there's good vegetation to the south toward the red bar. About 10 feet or so of new sand fencing right by your sign would stop all the action through there. I'd be happy to put it up for ya'll with permission.

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH
kurt said:
Hi Melissa!

As you know that open spot beside the sign isn't very big, and there's good vegetation to the south toward the red bar. About 10 feet or so of new sand fencing right by your sign would stop all the action through there. I'd be happy to put it up for ya'll with permission.
Maybe that would have been a good spot to park that rusty old (big) gun found on the beach after dennis. :D

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Thanks a bunch Melissa and friends! I LOVE your sign! I hate to admit I also LOVE your brillant idea for some great entertainment....just go tinkle before watching those fools trip over your "helpful reminder". This has major potential for a new comedy venue...just need lawn chairs, some cool beverages and let the magic happen! You'll have more $$$ for supplies to make more signs!!! I'll be the first in line!

melissa

Beach Lover
Jun 15, 2005
luvthebeach said:
Sounds to me like SJ might have a good shot at photographing an offending photographer! It'd be interesting to find out who the photographer is so we could steer future dune-loving guests away from him and in the direction of "dune-friendly" photographers

We weren't thinking quickly enough to get his card or anything. What I can tell you is he has grey/whitish hair, drives a black truck/SUV, and his wife helps him out -- holding the light reflector things.
One evening we were on the beach, looked up and saw them setting up in the dunes right about the time the sheriff made his rounds. We flagged the sheriff down and he did make them get out...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sueshore said:
Thanks a bunch Melissa and friends! I LOVE your sign! I hate to admit I also LOVE your brillant idea for some great entertainment....just go tinkle before watching those fools trip over your "helpful reminder". This has major potential for a new comedy venue...just need lawn chairs, some cool beverages and let the magic happen! You'll have more $$$ for supplies to make more signs!!! I'll be the first in line!

Also, make sure to finish swallowing any food or beverage before someone makes the approach.

Seriously, Melissa, your sign is fun, purposeful, and full of Grayton charm. Great job!