• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
As many know on here I am keeping my son's Shih Tzu until Monday. He is used to sleeping in recliners, and on the couch and even my son's bed. And I know that will not fly here in our house, especially where my husband is concerned. Anybody got any suggestions of how I can deal with this? Thanks.

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
do you have a baby gate?
could you use a slip cover or does he have a dog bed?

Last edited:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
My furniture is dog friendly. They sleep anywhere they want to. However, if you don't want the puppy on your furniture you are going to have to train him not to get on it. A firm no if he tries. A water bottle and when he tries to jump spray him. I also used a metal tennis ball filled with coins when I was training my dogs to not do things I didn't want them to. When they started it I threw the can in their direction. It would startle them, and they would quit the bad behavoir. A baby gate is a great suggestion! Good Luck!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Vigilance, firmness, and a special spot for the dog!

Since the dog hasn't been on any of the furniture at your house, if they are never allowed up there (and removed promptly if they try) you should be able to keep them off - at least when you're in the room.

At night put something uncomfortable on the furniture to keep them off - upturned chair, hardcover books, etc.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Sorry, I have to disagree. If the little pooch is only in your home until Monday, would it really be that bad to let him on the furniture? Scaring the living bejesus out of him for three days for doing the very thing he is able to do in his own home seems rather cruel to me. It's only dog hair, for goodness' sake.

Maybe you could try throwing the metal can filled with coins at your husband, or spraying him with water. Just a thought. ;-)

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Sorry, I have to disagree. If the little pooch is only in your home until Monday, would it really be that bad to let him on the furniture? Scaring the living bejesus out of him for three days for doing the very thing he is able to do in his own home seems rather cruel to me. It's only dog hair, for goodness' sake.

Maybe you could try throwing the metal can filled with coins at your husband, or spraying him with water. Just a thought. ;-)

Ok, so perhaps not a good idea for the weekend, and if he is allowed to get on furniture in his own house. But, these methods are good HUMANE way's to train pets instead of kicking them, or hitting them with rolled up newspapers, magazines or other such objects. IMHO.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Ok, so perhaps not a good idea for the weekend, and if he is allowed to get on furniture in his own house. But, these methods are good HUMANE way's to train pets instead of kicking them, or hitting them with rolled up newspapers, magazines or other such objects. IMHO.

I agree, and since they are humane for dogs, they would undoubtedly be humane for hubby. Mr. C absolutely HATES being hit with a rolled up newspaper. :D

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

Why should she risk hundreds or thousands of dollars in damage to furnishings? Yes, dog hair is easy to remove, but claw marks/runs from then trying to climp up or jump off, stains, chewing etc. aren't.

A designated doggie bed w/ toys and some firmness and discipline won't harm the dog. Noone advocated beating or hurting the puppy, just training them a bit to stay off the furniture because those are her house rules.

Scooterbro's dog sleeps on his bed w/ him and will climb on the couch - but he knows that everyone else's bed is off limits and that he can't go on the couch when Mama Scooterbug is around. He knows the rules are different then - he trades off "no couch" for early morning walks and his dog buddy visiting.

We allow our standard poodle on all furniture because she's an indoor dog and is a poodle (no shedding, no odor). She also sleeps with us. She used to sleep at the foot of the bed with her head pointed toward the door to protect us. Then she discovered fluffy, down pillows and usually sleeps with her head on the pillow. Sometimes she reverts back to using the pillow, yet pointing towards the bed. We've kissed her a$$ several times in the middle of the night when we thought we were kissing her face.:funn:

However, we didn't allow the Weim on furniture because she had that smell that an outdoor dog has. Also, when our miniature poodles got old and incontinent, we'd gate off areas for them. If there was a piece of furniture that we didn't want them on, we'd lay a wooden chair sideways on it.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
So now a 15-pound dog on a couch for 3 days equals "thousands of dollars in damage to furnishings." Um, ok. :roll:

I'm going to bed.