• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
So now a 15-pound dog on a couch for 3 days equals "thousands of dollars in damage to furnishings." Um, ok. :roll:

I'm going to bed.

Yeah...I'm with ya on this one. We have two bullmastiffs. They are couch potatoes. 130 pounds each...no damage. The only thing we do is cover the sofas with huge blankets for hair.

You can't retrain a dog in three days which leaves you three solutions, IMHO.
1. Give in
2. Cover the sofa
3. Crate the dog

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't know exactly what furniture she has, but replacing or reupholstering an armchair and a sofa because a dog ripped it open, chewed it up, threw up on, or went to the bathroom on it could easily hit that amount.

Obviously I was going w/ worst case scenario. ;-)

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Thanks for the suggestions guys. My husband mainly does not want the dog in his recliner he sits in. However, I have fixed a thin cover on the couch and that is where he slept last night with hubby's approval. So all is well. :D I want the fella to be able to enjoy himself.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Sorry, I have to disagree. If the little pooch is only in your home until Monday, would it really be that bad to let him on the furniture? Scaring the living bejesus out of him for three days for doing the very thing he is able to do in his own home seems rather cruel to me. It's only dog hair, for goodness' sake.

Maybe you could try throwing the metal can filled with coins at your husband, or spraying him with water. Just a thought. ;-)

You crack me up. Video it, too pretty please, Lady D!!

Sweet Pea is 92lb Love Hound and for some reason she is afraid of the fly swatter. At least she was when she came to me.....someone in her past used it on her. :sosad:

She's beginning to figure out my threats with it are idle, but I still wave it in her face for effect. She lounges on the marble table because it is cool to her butt. I put an end to that bad habit. She sneaks on my bed every now and then.......but, that's only peice of furniture she gets on.....I don't really blame her 'cause my bed is really comfy and cozy! :D

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Thanks for the suggestions guys. My husband mainly does not want the dog in his recliner he sits in. However, I have fixed a thin cover on the couch and that is where he slept last night with hubby's approval. So all is well. :D I want the fella to be able to enjoy himself.
You are a sweet "mom" LadyD. :clap:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Shih Tzus not sleeping on furniture :dunno:....OMG they totally believe they are your human child. They do not see themselves as dogs!
:lolabove:

:love: Love this ongoing story Lady D!!!!

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Shih Tzus not sleeping on furniture :dunno:....OMG they totally believe they are your human child. They do not see themselves as dogs!
:lolabove:

:love: Love this ongoing story Lady D!!!!

He is knocked out right now on the couch. He played so much after I came home from work he wore himself out. He has won my hubby over already. He went right up to him wagging his tail right when he came in the door. Hubby started playing with him with his squeak toys and petting him over and over. My husband has taken to making this funny noise that gets his attention and he finally started barking at him. We have figured out we can leave him out of the kennel when we leave and let him stay in the kitchen. We have linoleum flooring in there and we are going to put his toys in there to keep him company when we have to be gone. Don't know why we did not think of that last night. He cannot hurt anything in there.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
He is knocked out right now on the couch. He played so much after I came home from work he wore himself out. He has won my hubby over already. He went right up to him wagging his tail right when he came in the door. Hubby started playing with him with his squeak toys and petting him over and over. My husband has taken to making this funny noise that gets his attention and he finally started barking at him. We have figured out we can leave him out of the kennel when we leave and let him stay in the kitchen. We have linoleum flooring in there and we are going to put his toys in there to keep him company when we have to be gone. Don't know why we did not think of that last night. He cannot hurt anything in there.

I think I :love: you Lady D, and Mr. Lady D, too. I formally take back my suggestion to spray Mr. Lady D with a bottle of water. :D It's funny, but all the manly he-men I've ever known have been converted to baby-talking goofballs by those little furballs. I'm glad things are working out for you.

Last edited:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Glad to hear all worked out for everyone, doggie included.

Sheila

SoWal Insider

:clap:I thought that might be the case! :clap: Good for you Lady D!