• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
And you deserve it. It looked way worse in person.

On a heavier note, I hate to be the one to bring this up but what happened to the no kid rule? I am not anti-kid per se, but I did find my self saying, "d@mn, d@mn, d@mn, that hurts," after I hurt my leg and looking up to see the big round eyes of a shocked 10 year old. I felt pretty evil.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

On a heavier note, I hate to be the one to bring this up but what happened to the no kid rule? I am not anti-kid per se, but I did find my self saying, "d@mn, d@mn, d@mn, that hurts," after I hurt my leg and looking up to see the big round eyes of a shocked 10 year old. I felt pretty evil.
That is not as bad as my "F_ck!"

jessifunn

superJfunn
Jul 7, 2005
Seagrove Beach

i agree.

Liv'smom

Beach Lover
Oct 5, 2006
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
I was under the impression that kids were okay to bring, but not play.:dunno: That's disappointing. I only get 2 full days a week with my kid and if I ever got to come and play, I was going to bring her. Bummer.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
This is why I am hesitant to even raise the topic...people so easily get bent out of shape on this subject. I think the general feeling is that it's fine to bring kids to watch if you don't mind that they may occasionally hear a curse word or see some adults drinking and generally having their guard down. Many of my Mommy Mafia-type friends would not be cool with it and would glare at people for cursing/drinking around the kids, but I don't think most people around here care...it's never out of hand.

The problem Sunday was that kids were playing, kids were standing at home plate when I crossed after running from first to home on a very sore leg, and kids heard me say d@mn and the f-word. This kid was pretty young, and it was pretty clear he found the words shocking. His eyes were like saucers. I felt so creepy after that. I am not a potty mouth, and the kid wouldn't have heard what I said had he been sitting where the spectators usually sit.

Now, I am not on the kickball board of directors, so I speak only for myself. My general feeling is that if you have a child it is your call to make the decision regarding what is or isn't appropriate for your child. If you don't mind an occasional d@mn or f#&# being muttered on a field, or a very genteel lady calling out, "That's two outs for the Large Nipples," then by all means bring the kids. Explain to the kids that it's a game for adults Tell them not to ask to play, and if they do ask don't leave someone else to be the heavy and say no. Kids are totally welcome to spectate. But, that's just me.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I agree with Rapunzel. And I may rethink bringing my kids, because while I feel free to act like myself around them, others may not. And it is about grownups getting together and having a good time. It is not a church league by any stretch of the imagination.

My kids have come a couple of times, but then again they have grown up with my potty mouth. It's funny, but when Will was little, he was the ONLY kid who didn't experiment with bad words. Probably because he was sick of hearing them.:lol:

scrltbegonya

Beach Fanatic
Dec 14, 2005
SRB
Thanks for posting all of that about the kids. Unfortunately for the rugrats, I think we need to revert back to the no kids rule. I found myself cussing the kids when the missed balls, messed up plays, etc. Now, keep in mind, I probably couldn't do any better, but I wanted it to be me who erred instead of the kid. AND, if one of those kids got tackled like I did yesterday, chances are, they wouldn't have popped up and been ok.

I am afraid that more and more kids will want to play...Why don't some parents start a youth kickball game? Of course, not to interfere with our 3:30game. :cool:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I hope Lucky didn't feel like crap from me ragging on his pitching skills. :funn:

Regarding the kids playing, I just don't want any parents or other players giving me sh_t if I happen to throw the ball at their kid, causing them to trip and do a head plant into the ground. While I don't want to be on a team filled with kids, I don't mind a couple of kids like we had last week. They did make pretty good pitchers and it does make it feel like a community. That being said, where do you draw the line? Unfortunately, I think the answer is found in your requests not to have kids playing at all. It wouldn't answer the potty mouth question, but we could limit the kids to two per team, and they had to be the pitchers or catchers. My man Cam was holding his own yesterday.

On another note, I think we need Dr Skunky on stand by for prescriptions at kickball. We have broken toes, cracked ribs, head butts, etc., and I am still moving slowly.