Kids - swimming

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by wintersbk, May 23, 2005.

1. wintersbk

wintersbk Beach Fanatic

I was wondering if there is a public pool for swimming in the Seagrove area. We are staying at Seagrove Dunes in a couple of weeks and the kids are like little water-bugs.

Also, we have noticed a water park in PCB & one in Destin. Does anyone prefer one over the other?

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Freeport's public pool is going to open soon. Wow, a real town, sort of. South Walton does not have a public pool, except for the lakes.

3. wintersbk

wintersbk Beach Fanatic

soon? As in the next two weeks?

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Story on Freeport Pool
    The Olympic size pool is scheduled to open in early June, but not sure on the date. See the link above for the scoop.

5. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

This begs the question, why not just rent a place with a pool? Does the Santa Rosa Beach Club offer day or weekly passes to use the pool? Speaking of SRB Club, has anyone been to their restaurant lately? I haven't been in over five years, but it used to be pretty decent. I never hear anyone mention it anymore. Back in the day, it was one of the few places to eat along 30-A.

6. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

We have been to both. We had more fun at Destin. The park layout is not good but there are way more things the kids can ride/slide/do. The staff was more alert as well. (my kids were 6 and 8)

7. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Check the restaurant thread.

8. wintersbk

wintersbk Beach Fanatic

Slight oversight on our part. Anyway now we're booked without a pool and I am looking for alternatives. Thanks to all who replied! This board is a great source for information on your community. :D

9. seagrovelover

seagrovelover little sugar

Maybe they will surprise you and really love the gulf water to swim and play!!! our kids just love it (all diff ages) :clap_1:

10. iqueequeg

iqueequeg Beach Lover

The last time we were in the area we had lunch at the Bait House in Watercolor. We took a walk on the bridge over the lake and saw a 3 or 4 foot snake in the water. Could it have been a water moccasin? I ask because of the suggestion about swimming in the lake.

11. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Yes - I saw one that size on the path beside the lake by the BaitHouse. Thank goodness they didn't take all the Florida out and replace it with concrete.

Moccasins retreat from swimmers. You wouldn't be swimming near them anyway, but rather on the beach where the outflow is. Just little fish (molebiters) and a few crabs.

Reptiles are shy and never bother people unless bothered. Ozone depletion, lightning, and drunk drivers are things to worry about. :lol:

12. iqueequeg

iqueequeg Beach Lover

I don't know. One of the cowboys in "Lonesome Dove" got killed by water moccasins.

13. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Cottonmouth's, alligators and sharks can be very dangerous, but more dangerous are the intersections of Hwy 98 and CR283 and 98 and 395. I am not joking. Wait long enough and you will see a crash, even with 1-3 police cars stationed there. Doctors have anti-venom available for poisonous snake bites, but they still have figured out to remove a 7000 pound SUV from your ribcage without serious damage.

By the way, for the original poster, if you ask a specific question you are likely to get a specific answer, hence the info regarding "pools." Eastern Lake at Grayton Beach is an excellent place for supervised kids to play in the water. You will probably find they like it better than the pools and you can enjoy the Beach to boot.