• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Donna posted this in another thread:

"For those who love "the illuminations," as my little grandmother used to call holiday lights, the lakeyard park around perfectly round Lake DeFuniak will be outfitted with over 3 million lights, most of which reflect in the Lake. The anttebellum homes around the lake are also beautifully decorated. Well worth a short trip "to town" for those of you living at or visiting South Walton beaches. ...."

Donna,
I mentioned wanting to see Lake DeFuniak to my husband and he said several years back he toured the Lake discovering that it is so perfectly round because it was formed by a sink hole. Also there was a "stage area" on the west side of the lake that was used by Chatauqua group to bring cultural entertainment to the area. Anyone know if it is still used like that?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Rita said:
Donna posted this in another thread:

"For those who love "the illuminations," as my little grandmother used to call holiday lights, the lakeyard park around perfectly round Lake DeFuniak will be outfitted with over 3 million lights, most of which reflect in the Lake. The anttebellum homes around the lake are also beautifully decorated. Well worth a short trip "to town" for those of you living at or visiting South Walton beaches. ...."

Donna,
I mentioned wanting to see Lake DeFuniak to my husband and he said several years back he toured the Lake discovering that it is so perfectly round because it was formed by a sink hole. Also there was a "stage area" on the west side of the lake that was used by Chatauqua group to bring cultural entertainment to the area. Anyone know if it is still used like that?

http://www.florida-chautauqua-center.org

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
First on the sinkhole theory, which is correct. Some of the oldtimers used to tell the story of Lake DeFuniak being formed when a (presumably perfectly round) meteorite slammed into the area. They also maintained that "they never have found the bottom to that thing," and told stories about a local man who drowned while fishing in the lake, only to turn up floating in Back Lake, which is five miles outside town via Old Highway 90.

Local kids once swam in Lake DeFuniak, which was closed to swimming when high levels of bacteria were found in the Lake, an incident that strangely coincided with black youth also wishing to swim in the Lake. (Not long afterwards, the town's only public swimming pool was also closed because black children wanted to swim there.) These events are obviously a shameful chapter in the town's history. But I digress...they are doing fine now, I think, on racial issues. Probably much better than, say South Boston.

The lake is a sinkhole that is fed by a natural spring. It is deep, but not bottomless. No one knows why ____ was found in Back Lake, when he went fishing on Lake DeFuniak. I would guess there is an answer to that mystery which has nothing to do with hydrology, but we will never know.

The Chatauqua was a Methodist-sponsored cultural program that had its roots in upstate New York and northern Michigan. There were outposts established in several areas, DeFuniak Springs being one of them. The old Chatauqua Building remained in a state of disrepair for many years, with discussions focused on demolition, until they received a grant to rehabilitate it. Now it is used for programs such as the one on the Web site, among other things. We used to have the annual Halloween Carnival there. It served as a local rollerskating rink for a very short time. And the Eastern Star and Railbow Girls organizations met there. I once spent the night on the little balcony that goes around the rotunda, as we had a pajama party there.

The "illuminations" around Lake DeFuniak are something different. The lights are turned on the evening of the day following Thanksgiving. Drivers are charged $5 (I think) as a donation if you want to drive instead of walking around the lake, which is exactly one mile in circumference. It is a lovely walk that you can take through the Lakeyard, but lovelier yet on the sidewalk of Circle Drive, where you can see the beautifully decorated antebellum homes and all the reflections of some 3 million lights in the lake. There are all kinds of holiday scenes depicted.

People come from miles around. You could look it up!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Rita...thank you so much for asking another historical question to Donna! Donna, you must write a book! Actually, we have a good group of writers here that could collaborate with you! I love reading your memories of growing up in Walton County!

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
Donna said:
The "illuminations" around Lake DeFuniak are something different. The lights are turned on the evening of the day following Thanksgiving. Drivers are charged $5 (I think) as a donation if you want to drive instead of walking around the lake, which is exactly one mile in circumference. It is a lovely walk that you can take through the Lakeyard, but lovelier yet on the sidewalk of Circle Drive, where you can see the beautifully decorated antebellum homes and all the reflections of some 3 million lights in the lake. There are all kinds of holiday scenes depicted.

People come from miles around. You could look it up!
:clap_1: So excited--I'll get to do this next month!

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Donna,

Thank you so much. I'm passing this on to a family member (history buff) who will be joining us at the beach. This will just get them even more excited.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
We walked around the lake, saw the "illuminations", admired the antebellum homes, and took lots of pictures. What a fun evening!

? Is the Whistle Stop Cafe in DeFuniak Springs the same one that was in "Fried Green Tomatoes"?
We just watched that movie the other night.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Rita....sounds like a very grand trip!!! How long were you there?