• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

missourigrl

Beach Comber
Mar 25, 2006
Missouri
spaces.msn.com
We had originally planned on visiting the Miramar beach area May 27-June 2, but I have heard that during the Memorial day weekend it can be terribly crowded. Is it usually just during Sat, Sun, Mon or the whole week? This has me wondering if we should change our plans to mid to late June? Last year we visited in early August but we won't be able to go that late this year. Also, should we be worried about the beach restoration in that area?

Thanks!

P.S. What is the weather/water temp like at the end of May?

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
missourigrl said:
We had originally planned on visiting the Miramar beach area May 27-June 2, but I have heard that during the Memorial day weekend it can be terribly crowded. Is it usually just during Sat, Sun, Mon or the whole week? This has me wondering if we should change our plans to mid to late June? Last year we visited in early August but we won't be able to go that late this year. Also, should we be worried about the beach restoration in that area?

Thanks!
can't help you here...but be patient...answers will come !!!

Allifunn

Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
and by the way.....:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
have a fun vacation!

Allifunn

Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
missourigrl said:

Thanks!

P.S. What is the weather/water temp like at the end of May?
you should get lots more posts on this tomorrow...most SoWallers are either :yawn: , :D , or :love:

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
It is the whole week and the rest of the months of June July & August. If I were you, I would visit the week before memorial. Rates are a little lower and crowds are a LOT less.

missourigrl

Beach Comber
Mar 25, 2006
Missouri
spaces.msn.com
Is it so crowded at the end of May into June, July, August that it is impossible to go out to eat and enjoy yourself out on the beach? We visited the first week in August last year and it was pretty busy but not so much that we weren't able to enjoy our vacation (we usually didn't go out and eat dinner until about 8 or 9 pm). That was our first time visiting Destin so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I want to visit when the weather and water is nice and warm. Thanks for your help!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Our favorite time to come to the area as a family is in August, right after most of the kids go back to school. The pool water and ocean are so comfortable, everything is open and not crowded, and there is very little traffic. We're from the north so our kids don't start school until after labor day. We're only coming there for one week this August (and we're going to be there the last week of June, too, to see what it's like at peak season), but in the future we'll come for 2 weeks (maybe more) in August.

Keep in mind that some places along 30A are going to have more traffic than other areas. We pretty much stay at the pool, porch, and beach so we don't have to deal with traffic too much (grocery shopping). When we go out to eat, we do that early (e.g., 11:45 for lunch; 4:45 for dinner) because we have children so they actually prefer to eat early.

The trade-off you make is this: At the busier beaches/roads, you have restaurants, shops, etc. within walking distance but there will be more crowds and traffic because of the restaurants, shops, etc. At the less busy beaches/roads you have fewer, if any restaurants/shops/etc., within walking distance and you have fewer crowds and traffic.

Hope this is helpful.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
missourigrl said:
Is it so crowded at the end of May into June, July, August that it is impossible to go out to eat and enjoy yourself out on the beach? We visited the first week in August last year and it was pretty busy but not so much that we weren't able to enjoy our vacation (we usually didn't go out and eat dinner until about 8 or 9 pm). That was our first time visiting Destin so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I want to visit when the weather and water is nice and warm. Thanks for your help!

Maybe you misunderstood my reply , and after I read it, I mis understood it too!:rotfl:

I was suggesting that you visit before Memorial day because from then on, June, July and August are VERY busy and you will run into the same lines, same crowds.

Come before memorial day, or in latter August. But NOT labor day weekend.

missourigrl

Beach Comber
Mar 25, 2006
Missouri
spaces.msn.com
yippie said:
Maybe you misunderstood my reply , and after I read it, I mis understood it too!:rotfl:

I was suggesting that you visit before Memorial day because from then on, June, July and August are VERY busy and you will run into the same lines, same crowds.

Come before memorial day, or in latter August. But NOT labor day weekend.

Wait a second, now I am confused! :funn: That bit about Labor Day weekend through me off. :rofl:
Let me see if I get this right. It would be best if I could visit the week before Memorial Day...i.e. May 20-26 is what I would shoot for. After that it is really busy.
Now, is the weather and the water nice at the end of May? When I visited in August last year it was very hot and humid and the water was like bath water. I know it won't be that warm in May but I'm hoping for weather in the 70's-80's and water that is not to chilly to enjoy.
Thanks!