• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
We have been working (long distance) on our landscaping. The previous owners of our place had allowed brush to overtake the place. We have pared back the wilderness and are now about ready to put down some sod. My question? What kind of grass will do best? We will have a sprinkler system, but looking for low maintenence -- disease resistant. Sorta leaning rght now toward St. Augustine -- but willing to hear other ideas. I would truly appreciate the guidance and knowledge of the local experts.

Thanks Bdub

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
St. Augustine grass requires more water than say something like bermuda. It is more shade tolerant though, if that is a concern.

For lower maintenance, what we did when we used to live in Gainesville, FL was to adhere to the practice of not fertilizing at a high rate. The pests and diseases are more of a problem on the lush over-fertilized growth. One would of course want to keep the lawn healthy, just don't overdo it.

A mulching mower is very useful to put the blade part of the grass back on the lawn to add nutrients - don't mow short.

I do not have actual experience with growing grasses in the panhandle and have not kept up on new grass varieties so can't advise much there.

We chose not to worry about having lawn grass in SoWal, prefering to leave the palmetto, etc. I guess it depends on where you're located and the neighborhood.

Good luck!

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
I would let the wilderness come back and not plant any sod. Sod is probably one of the worst environmental disasters we have in South Walton. :yikes: The less we have of it, the better we will be in the long run. Waste of water, too. Try to save any native plants that you have left. Palmettos can live up to 700 years and will keep your yard from eroding in the next storm or even heavy downpours. Yupon trees make an excellent shrub/tree, very little care or water and provide food and shelter for a number of animals and birds. Groundsel is another great local native plant that attacts the Monarch Butterfly in the Fall. Try not to use fertilizer or sprinklers as the runoff is very harmful to our Coastal Dune Lakes. Eastern Lake Nursery on 30A has native plants and should be able to help you out. The Southern Magnolia is a native plant. The Sand Pine is native and special to our Coastal Scrub Zone. Several oaks will serve you well such as scrub and sand oak,

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
The previous owner of my place sodded. I'm all about low maintenance in the yard, so it has just gotten mowed, nothing else. And in just 3 years, almost every scrap of grass has died. If it's that much trouble to keep going, then it obviously isn't well-suited to the area.

Moving toward native ground cover, your friend, the Treefrog.

While we were designing our house, I happened to go to one of Randy's classes at the old Gourd Garden (now Eastern Lake Nursery). He sold me on the advantages of using natural vegetation. So when our lot was cleared to build the house, we asked the contractor to minimize what he cleared. We have natural live oaks, saw palmettos, magnolias, rosemary, etc. We have no grass. We don't need a sprinkler system because that vegetation has been here for many, many years without the need for irrigation.

Our landscaping has kept the "grove" in our little piece Seagrove.

Oh, and BTW, we don't need to pay a few hundred dollars a month for lawn maintenance because our property is about as low maintenance as you can get. We do it ourselves a few times a year, throwing down pine needles and cutting out vines and overgrowth. That's it.

Last edited:

a30aspice

Beach Comber
Apr 21, 2008
Natural vegetation & grass

I'm all about natural vegetation as well...that's all I've had in my yard forever. But, my dogs would sure love a little bit of grass. I'm not talking about a big lush lawn...just about a little grass in the backyard. That said, does anyone know what kind of grass survives best down here? Thanks.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I'm all about natural vegetation as well...that's all I've had in my yard forever. But, my dogs would sure love a little bit of grass. I'm not talking about a big lush lawn...just about a little grass in the backyard. That said, does anyone know what kind of grass survives best down here? Thanks.

The little bit that survives in my yard is Bermuda.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
Thanks for all the advice. We do still have a lot of natural vegatation around our place -- we have just pushed some of it back a bit so that we have some space around our house for kidplay. But seriously , it had gotten waaay out of control. I was almost afraid to venture into my yard!!:eek:

we have an ample supply of good water -- and sprinklers are about to be installed to keep the grass from dying off in the heat of summer. I think its coming down to a choice between St. Augustine and Bermuda. Anyone know anything about zosia (sp?)