• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FLSunChaser

Beach Lover
Apr 26, 2006
Ok turtle lovers . . .This is the first time a leatherback turtle has laid eggs in Walton County. The crawl was 6 ft in diameter which means this was a HUGE HUGE turtle. Must have been an awesome sight to see. 60 days and counting!!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
That is terrific news, especially since that Leatherback was found in BMB last year, apparently killed from propeller wounds.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Sorry I missed it. But I had a leatherback surface in Seagrove close(10 ft) behind me one day. My guess was 6 ft across the back over 500lbs. Hope there's plenty like them around. I did see a smaller one this year close to shore but not nearly as big. There's lots of them out there but they still need protected.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I would guess that there aren't many Leatherbacks out there, since they are still on the Endangered Species list.

The Leatherbacks do grow rather large. They are the world's largest known turtle -- WoW!

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
true that SJ, not many leatherbacks but saw up to 30 turtles a day while fishing recently. So i hope their comin back. Just hope thet don't land at the Retreat. I think SoWal's finest would run out of zip ties since metal cuffs probably wouldn't fit their fins.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
true that SJ, not many leatherbacks but saw up to 30 turtles a day while fishing recently. So i hope their comin back. Just hope thet don't land at the Retreat. I think SoWal's finest would run out of zip ties since metal cuffs probably wouldn't fit their fins.

:clap: :funn:

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I love turtles! I saw one in the bay a couple months ago and was so excited I almost fell out of the boat.

One of the coolest things EVER is seeing them hatch!

Let's get the crap off the beach so they can nest!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:clap:

You are a good egg Kurt. Editing can be funn and lifesaving! :wave: