• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
We stayed there once years ago and liked it--the units are small but comfortable. I like that end of the beach a lot since the lake is right there (plus the beach is fairly wide).

However, one of the Leewards--not sure if it's I or II--was damaged by the hurricane. We were down there in July the week after and the bottom had literally dropped out of the building and you could see the furniture down on the sand! I haven't seen it since so I can't tell you what kind of construction is going on. I heard that one of the condos nearby, maybe the green Ramsgate, was scheduled for demolition, but I don't know if that's true or not. Anyone know?

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
I was just down at our home off of Eastern Lake and rode by Leeward I and II. Leeward II seemed to have guests. Leeward I still roped off. I did not see any activity at all.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Peapod, we were just at Leeward II on Saturday and I took these photos for you. Leeward I has been bulldozed. The stucco on the side of Eastern Shores condo has been blown off, exposing the Tyvek and plywood. It's not very pretty! Leeward II's deck is unsafe and the little boardwalk that ran alongside it is now history. That section of the beach really took a bruising from Dennis in July. There's a lot of re-construction going on, lots of bulldozers moving sand and materials back and forth. Nothing seems to be happening very quickly, though.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I spy something wrong and brown...that SAND! YUCK!

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
Mermaid said:
Peapod, we were just at Leeward II on Saturday and I took these photos for you. Leeward I has been bulldozed. The stucco on the side of Eastern Shores condo has been blown off, exposing the Tyvek and plywood. It's not very pretty! Leeward II's deck is unsafe and the little boardwalk that ran alongside it is now history. That section of the beach really took a bruising from Dennis in July. There's a lot of re-construction going on, lots of bulldozers moving sand and materials back and forth. Nothing seems to be happening very quickly, though.
Mermaid, thanks so much for looking out for us! I can't believe how bad the building looks. I'm so disappointed that the owner assured us her unit was undamaged. She said the other bottom floor units had suffered damage but hers had not. This picture tells a different story! :sosad:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I'm glad you saw this. There's no way I'd step out on that deck! It's like the Titanic; you'd go sliding down south. I'm shocked that more work hasn't been done since July to all the beachfront cottages and cottages down at that end of Eastern Lake. It really doesn't look like anything much has happened except for moving mountains of sand to shore up the foundation pilings. It's unfortunate, because the owners of these places are victims of the hurricane, too, but if I were renting I would NOT want to look at such unsightliness. Not to mention dealing with all the bulldozers and construction trucks and their noise.

Beach Crazy

cracker
Aug 19, 2005
Arkansas
Mermaid said:
I'm glad you saw this. There's no way I'd step out on that deck! It's like the Titanic; you'd go sliding down south. I'm shocked that more work hasn't been done since July to all the beachfront cottages and cottages down at that end of Eastern Lake. It really doesn't look like anything much has happened except for moving mountains of sand to shore up the foundation pilings. It's unfortunate, because the owners of these places are victims of the hurricane, too, but if I were renting I would NOT want to look at such unsightliness. Not to mention dealing with all the bulldozers and construction trucks and their noise.

Where is your place Mermaid?

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Beach Crazy said:
Where is your place Mermaid?

We're a bit down the road, just west of Seagrove Plaza where Bruno's Pizza and Garrett Realty are. On the other side of the road at HIdden Beach Villas. Our deeded access has still not been replaced--as I said, repair work has been slow going. There's a fantastic new public access only a further bit down the beach, though, so at least there's a legal way onto the beach for us. None of the buildings near our condo have taken quite the beating that the Leewards and Eastern Shore have, thankfully.