Leeward II

Discussion in 'Rentals - Vacation' started by peapod1980, Oct 12, 2005.

1. peapod1980

peapod1980 percy

Anybody know anything at all about this building/complex?

2. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

We stayed there once years ago and liked it--the units are small but comfortable. I like that end of the beach a lot since the lake is right there (plus the beach is fairly wide).

However, one of the Leewards--not sure if it's I or II--was damaged by the hurricane. We were down there in July the week after and the bottom had literally dropped out of the building and you could see the furniture down on the sand! I haven't seen it since so I can't tell you what kind of construction is going on. I heard that one of the condos nearby, maybe the green Ramsgate, was scheduled for demolition, but I don't know if that's true or not. Anyone know?

3. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

It was Leeward I that was badly damaged. We have a couple of Ramsgate owners on the board.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  4. Wastin Away

Wastin Away Beach Lover

I was just down at our home off of Eastern Lake and rode by Leeward I and II. Leeward II seemed to have guests. Leeward I still roped off. I did not see any activity at all.

5. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Peapod, we were just at Leeward II on Saturday and I took these photos for you. Leeward I has been bulldozed. The stucco on the side of Eastern Shores condo has been blown off, exposing the Tyvek and plywood. It's not very pretty! Leeward II's deck is unsafe and the little boardwalk that ran alongside it is now history. That section of the beach really took a bruising from Dennis in July. There's a lot of re-construction going on, lots of bulldozers moving sand and materials back and forth. Nothing seems to be happening very quickly, though.

6. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

I spy something wrong and brown...that SAND! YUCK!

7. peapod1980

peapod1980 percy

Mermaid, thanks so much for looking out for us! I can't believe how bad the building looks. I'm so disappointed that the owner assured us her unit was undamaged. She said the other bottom floor units had suffered damage but hers had not. This picture tells a different story! :sosad:

8. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

I'm glad you saw this. There's no way I'd step out on that deck! It's like the Titanic; you'd go sliding down south. I'm shocked that more work hasn't been done since July to all the beachfront cottages and cottages down at that end of Eastern Lake. It really doesn't look like anything much has happened except for moving mountains of sand to shore up the foundation pilings. It's unfortunate, because the owners of these places are victims of the hurricane, too, but if I were renting I would NOT want to look at such unsightliness. Not to mention dealing with all the bulldozers and construction trucks and their noise.

9. Beach Crazy

Beach Crazy cracker

Where is your place Mermaid?

10. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

We're a bit down the road, just west of Seagrove Plaza where Bruno's Pizza and Garrett Realty are. On the other side of the road at HIdden Beach Villas. Our deeded access has still not been replaced--as I said, repair work has been slow going. There's a fantastic new public access only a further bit down the beach, though, so at least there's a legal way onto the beach for us. None of the buildings near our condo have taken quite the beating that the Leewards and Eastern Shore have, thankfully.

11. Ocean Lover

Ocean Lover bean

What's the new public access that is open?

12. Sea Star

Sea Star Beach Lover

:sosad: Thanks for the pictures Mermaid. We were at Eastern Shores in October, and Leeward I was still there, complete with sinks hanging off the walls, furniture in the sand, etc. It was my understanding that this damage is from Ivan. At least the owner of one of the condos at Eastern Shores told us that. Will Leeward I be rebuilt or will the new setback laws prohibit that?

Mermaid - are you an owner of Hidden Beach Villas?

13. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Ocean Lover, there's beach access to the west of Hidden Beach Villas and the Palms of Seagrove. Down the road a bit. You should see it! It's a ramped access and it's been very nicely built and pretty to look at. The other public access is west of the highrise, the taller one. One Seagrove Place, I think? Again, very nicely done. It's east of the Tom Thumb.

Yes, we now own a little postage stamp of paradise over at Hidden Beach Villas. We bought it because it was all we could afford but now we've fallen in love with it! The location is great and it's nice to have a place small enough to be easily manageable. We really lucked out.

14. seacrestkristi

seacrestkristi Beach Fanatic

Hey Mermaid-We are all very lucky! What a great postage stamp you invested in! Hidden beach Villas is the first place we stayed in South Walton when are now grown kids were just little about 15 years ago! A buddy here in TN told us to go to Seagrove. It is so beautiful there! Hidden Beach Villas was very reasonable and clean and quite cute I thought. I remember a murphy bed, quite clever for an efficiency. What a smart investment! :clap_1:

15. jpowell378

jpowell378 Beach Crab

Has anyone been to Leeward II lately. I just wanted to know how the area is recovering from the hurricane damage.

Thanks.

16. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

I was over there the other day. Leeward I has been bulldozed and removed. They are still working on eastern Shores. Leeward II looks great and they will be rebuilding I. I saw a listing on MLS for $895k. Hope this helps!

17. jpowell378

jpowell378 Beach Crab

Thanks for the reply Franny. I've booked Leeward II #7 for a week in October. I stayed in Seagrove in 2004, at a different location, before the hurricanes and was curious as to how bad the damage in the area is. Have the beaches been pretty well restored and is there a lot of construction in the area? Not to be selfish, but, I'm just hoping that there's not going to be bulldozers and other equipment operating while I'm trying to relax on the beach. Thanks again.

18. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

I live close to Leeward and walk that part of the beach every day or two. The dunes there, which were never really high, are now mostly gone. Otherwise the beach itself is well recovered from the Ivan and Dennis damage. You should find it as relaxing as always. The only equipment you'll see is the Walton Co. trash pickup truck.:D