• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Cavallino

Beach Comber
Jun 11, 2005
depends on the date
Has anyone else notice that many of SKIERS posts are negative or actually misleading? Like the following...

- Shades is closing <misleading>
- Biting Flies <negative>
- Alys Beach not being to his liking <negative>
- Let the bidding begin <negative, misleading>
- Prices dropping in Watercolor <negative, misleading>
- Where did the sand go <negative>
- Question for you property flippers <negative, misleading>
- Bubble Bursting <negative, misleading>
- State of beaches after arlene <negative>
- Nervous Property Owners <negative, misleading>
- Back from vacation market looks soft <negative, misleading>
- Interesting Data About the Bubble <negative, misleading>

The only neutral or positive posts are

- Cheap window blinds at home depot....but it took him a few tries to get the order right
- where to jetski
- Cheap adirondack chairs and tables....but he is already watching for mildewing or splitting.

I would like to encourage SKIER to lighten up and enjoy life. Try to look for the positives. Next time you eat at a nice restaurant on 30-A...take the time to post a positive experience on this board. If you watch a wonderful sunset like last night....take a picture and post it. I think most of us here on this message board and this part of Florida were drawn here because of the beauty of the area and the friendliness of the people. Not because we "daytrade real estate."

Let's all chime in and encourage "our fellow message board poster SKIER" to try to be a bit more positive.

Doug :lol:

Last edited:

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Skier need to visit the Lounge. There are all kinds of crazy things going on there and you can't help but :rotfl: and :roll: .

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Speaking of looking at things positively instead of the negative. When we recently had the shark attack going down and all the negative publicity I got an e-mail from someone that I met in the Turks and Caicos this last winter while on vacation. I had been kayaking with her and told her all about the area. She e-mailed to tell me she saw all the news about Destin and couldn't believe how beautiful the beaches were. So once again proving any publicity is good publicity. She had never seen what the beaches looked like until the shark hit. Now she is planning a vacation down there. :clap_1:

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Donna said:
Needs a day at the beach...maybe a week. With no access to news reports or real estate magazines.

As posted a few days ago, Skier just got back from vacation in SoWal.....

I would hate to see his opinions after not going....you can find good/positive trends and outlooks and bad in everything you study or look at....it is all in how you look at the data...I choose to be very positive on the area because we love it and have been coming down for 15+ years and plan to always come down...so if you have a positive mental attitude as you look at and analyze the (any) data, you will draw a positive conclusion....not picking on Skier...others that are too wildly bullish on the market there (or try and sell their place for 4x market value) are the other end of the spectrum but just as irrational :evil:

:cool:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
For over three decades, researchers have found that optimists tend to live longer and people who experience and express positive emotions (e.g., optimism, gratitude, hope, resilience, forgiveness, joy, etc.) tend to be more successful in life. A very useful book for parents who want their children to grow up feeling and expressing more positive than negative thoughts is "The Optimistic Child" by Psychologist Seligman.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Re optimisim--comparables and all that are great, but I think y'all are missing a larger pix of why there may be "irrational exuburance" in your real estate market.
I'm not a property owner in So Wal (tho Mr. Newyorker and I would LOVE to be--college bills for kids get in way of this dream)--but we do come a LONG way for this beach--and why? Because of a sort of algorithm of things that come together in SoWal---mostly low-rise housing (the opposite of the Jersey shore means less crowding and fewer obnoxious people); beautiful beaches and warm water; places to buy gourmet groceries and great wine (Modica's plus Publix are wonderful combination--we love to cook and eat when we're on vacation); terrific seafood markets (again food!) ; a REAL independent bookstore at Seaside with knowledgeable clerks (I do all my summer book buying there); an excellent repertory theater (I'm an arts and sciences dean and support the arts--the theater is great!); nice clothing stores with low-pressure but very nice clerks (don't ask about the $$ I've dropped on clothing!) terrific restaurants again with waitstaff that are friendly but professional (and even reviewed in the NYTimes); NOT overrun by celebrities and people that frequent places like "the Vineyard". I could go on--but the whole combination is one that we are willing to shell out airfare and rental car fees in order to come.
The thing to worry about is how to keep all this together--that's what will keep property values growing. This is a truly holistic vacation place and I would buy in a "NY minute" if I could do so.
Can't wait to come down next Sat--SoWal is a rare and beautiful place.
NewYorker

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
wetwilly said:
As posted a few days ago, Skier just got back from vacation in SoWal.....

I would hate to see his opinions after not going....you can find good/positive trends and outlooks and bad in everything you study or look at....it is all in how you look at the data...I choose to be very positive on the area because we love it and have been coming down for 15+ years and plan to always come down...so if you have a positive mental attitude as you look at and analyze the (any) data, you will draw a positive conclusion....not picking on Skier...others that are too wildly bullish on the market there (or try and sell their place for 4x market value) are the other end of the spectrum but just as irrational :evil:

:cool:
I may be misunderstanding your post WetWilly, but Skier is at both ends of the spectrum. He says get out while you can, yet he states that he has his property on the market for a high price.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Smiling JOe said:
I may be misunderstanding your post WetWilly, but Skier is at both ends of the spectrum. He says get out while you can, yet he states that he has his property on the market for a high price.

Yeah, he confuses me too. I am just saying that you can draw a negative and a positive conclusion based on the same data....it is all in how you look at the data, spin it, and your frame of mind.

I choose to be very optimistic on SoWal for many of the same reasons New Yorker and others know, love, and have articulated. I have been coming to the area for 15+ years and am an owner because I love it. If I do sell, I expect a modest increase over what I paid, I will buy another, and if I get alot more (if the market bears it), I will be happy.

keep Smilin' JOe

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: