• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lifeguards -- Do you want them on our public beaches in Walton Co.?

• Yes, I think we should have lifeguards on our public beaches in Walton Co.

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • No, I think we should let the public enter the water at their own risk.

Votes: 40 51.9%
  • I don't have enough info to make a decision or just don't care.

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Just thought it would be interesting to hear from the silent majority with this poll.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
I can see it now, "Baywatch-SoWal"

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
040509-026.jpg

Let me change the question, who wants her to be a lifeguard?

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Do any of the other counties in the panhandle have lifeguards at their public beaches? If so, someone should do some research as to how well it works for them.

I am not adamently opposed to it. However, I would prefer to see Walton Co. direct their resources to more urgent areas (like learning how to properly restore beaches following a hurricane).

flipfloppammy

Beach Crab
Jan 12, 2005
Walton County
www.freecycle.org
First of all I would like to comment on something I saw in another thread and question it. "Private beaches, such as Sandestin"....since when are ANY beaches in Walton County "private"? Just because you can't get access the beach through their security gates doesn't mean the "beach" is private, but from my understanding ALL beaches here are public...just not the accesses. Correct me if I am wrong, please. You can walk to any beach from any access or come in via the water.

In my opinion, if Walton County has to pay millions of dollars for lifeguards or policing a year, how does that compare to the cost of someone's life IF they were to rescue someone in danger? There are so many things happening on our beaches with the rapid growth and popularity in recent years that I would have to make my vote "Yes" for lifeguards. Many people are educated enough to know what lies beyond the surf in the deeper waters and take the necessary precautions, but I doubt they would want to take the time from their day at the beach to educate and watch after others. Obviously, many do not want government's involvement on our beaches, but lifeguard stations make a statement of their own. There are many things to consider here when making that determination. Hypothetically speaking...... Who is going to watch that 4 yr old splashing around in the surf while his mother basks in the sun? Who is going to deal with the drunken spring breaker causing trouble? There ARE irresponsible people that frequent our beaches every day! I would rather have someone paid to be there to deal with situations (whatever they may be) than to interrupt MY peaceful day at the beach. We can't keep it quiet anymore...Walton County beaches are growing in popularity nationwide and more and more people are coming here throughout the year....and all they see is pretty water and white sand. One life saved is worth more than any lifeguard's salary!

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Judging by some of the responses in the other lifeguard thread, let me just point out George Carlin's take on helmets and bike safety. " The brain that can't decide to put on the helmet is not worth saving".