1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Lifeguards for South Walton?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by lenzoe, Apr 22, 2005.

?

Do SoWal Beaches Need LifeGuards?

1. Yes. Drowning tourists are bad for the SoWal image.

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. No. The sign says, swim at your own risk. Can't you read? Blub, blub, blub ...

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  3. Maybe. Would we get to meet Mitch or CJ?

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

According to the recent issue of the Walton Sun, there are two proposals being considered for Walton County to place Lifeguards on its beaches. What's your opinion on the subject? Should SoWal have Lifeguards or not?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  2. Ocean Lover

Ocean Lover bean

If there were lifeguards, would they be on the beach on red flag days? Last time we visited there were several of those and many people were swimming anyway. It worried me. :sosad:
    Coming from a tourist...an extra pair of eyes looking out for my children is an added plus.

3. beachyteachy

beachyteachy Beach Fanatic

I voted "yes." I don't think tourists "get" the seriousness of rip tides. I agree with adults being responsible for their actions but I agree about one more pair of eyes watching my (and everyone else's) youngsters! I keep an eagle's eye at the beach, but unfortunately, sometimes others do not. :roll:

4. GVM

GVM Beach Lover

Some of you long time residents...hasnt it been almost always adults who drown in riptides?

5. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

I wouldn't mind nearby professional help. But the other hand, there is so much beach I don't see how you could provide lifeguard coverage in the traditional sense. And frankly, whether it's at the pool or in the Gulf, I don't trust anyone else to watch for my kids anyway.

I don't let my kids go in without asking me, I won't let them go in on red flags, and when they are in, I always have either a boogie board and a life jacket nearby, or my kayak ready if I need to go in after them.

Like someone else pointed out, often it's the dads or strangers that jump in after the kids and get in trouble themselves.

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I was just thinking the same thing.

7. chrisv

chrisv Beach Fanatic

And THAT'S exactly why people need to heed the flags. Wasn't it just last week four Okaloosa County Firemen had to be rescued while attempting to rescue visitors? Lifeguards, while nice, are not the answer. The TDC has done a good job, IMO, of getting the word out about the flags. Brochures are everywhere, our rental company puts them in every rental for each new arrival, and it's discussed with the renters during the reservation process. Pay attention and be responsible.

Doesn't it always seem that surfers end up rescuing the most victims? Maybe we need more surfers:)

8. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

Yes. Be kind to surfer dudes. And kayaking dudes too. :cool:

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Prior to takeoff on a commercial airliner, they discuss safety information, yet no one seems to pay attention.

:floor: --another type of "professional" surfer. They would probably do the job for less money than lifeguards.

10. chrisv

chrisv Beach Fanatic

That's an idea! Start promoting SoWal as a surf mecca!

11. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

In my Red Cross training many years ago it was taught that approaching a drowning victim without a flotation device is very risky. A panicked victim can take you both down.

It was taught that if you didn't have a float, incapacitate the victim if they are panicky so they can't cling to you and pin your arms. Even if this meant keeping your distance until the victim goes unconscious.

12. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

The surfers do a lot of rescues in the summers to the point that there's a specific exemption in the Okaloosa County ordinance banning swimming during double red flag conditions that says they're allowed in the Gulf (everyone else can get ticketed) as long as they're leashed to their boards.

13. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

Last time we were there was early April. There were several red flag days in a row. The surf was fairly rough, there were a bunch of people in the water, and I had my kayak out 'cause I thought I might actually be able to help someone.

The kids wanted to go to the pool, though. When we got back a paramedic crew was right in front of our place working on a boogie-boarder that had been floating face-down (close to shore) but still strapped to his boogie board. A couple of other folks noticed and pulled him to shore. I heard he was okay.

So I missed my chance to play rescue dude.

14. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

Yeah. My instructor said to slug them.

I have about as much floatation ability as a rock. Long time ago one of my swimming instructors claimed anyone could float, but I proved her wrong. If I don't keep moving, I sink. I'm a good swimmer, but I would never go after someone else without floatation.

15. chrisv

chrisv Beach Fanatic

Good to see that the Red Cross is consistent in their training- I was taught the same thing!

16. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

I voted no. I'm tired of the man keepin me down. (or afloat :D )

17. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

I just don't think it's gonna happen.