• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Panhandler

Beach Lover
Jun 22, 2006
In the panhandle, man...
I overheard a table talking about lobster diving at breakfast this moring. I know you can do it South Florida, but is this a SoWal activity? If so, when and where? Are there rules or regulations?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I think you would have better luck dumpster diving.

jessifunn

superJfunn
Jul 7, 2005
Seagrove Beach
yes we do have lobster and they are huge. my step dad use to go diving right off the savannah pavilion and he would bring in huge lobster. like the ones on the red lobster commercials. i can't tell you how far out he went but i think it was about 5 or 6 miles. there was some sort of reef maybe:dunno:
call a dive shop they will tell you i'm sure

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The Choctawhatchee Bay used to be filled with lobsters way back in the days gone by, but I haven't heard of any lobsters in the area, other than in the restaurants.

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Smiling JOe said:
The Choctawhatchee Bay used to be filled with lobsters way back in the days gone by, but I haven't heard of any lobsters in the area, other than in the restaurants.
Hey S.J., where do they find all of the lobsters for Lobsterfest at Schooners? It would be interesting to find this out and maybe try to get some.

Sandcastle

Beach Fanatic
Jan 6, 2006
Tallahassee, Florida
jessifunn said:
yes we do have lobster and they are huge. my step dad use to go diving right off the savannah pavilion and he would bring in huge lobster. like the ones on the red lobster commercials. i can't tell you how far out he went but i think it was about 5 or 6 miles. there was some sort of reef maybe:dunno:
call a dive shop they will tell you i'm sure

I can confirm this. They?re out there and they?re HUGE.:lolabove: You just have to go out a ways and dive deep. JFUNN?s step dad?s diving buddy had one mounted and it?s on display in his office in Panama City.

Sandcastle

Beach Fanatic
Jan 6, 2006
Tallahassee, Florida
I believe that lobsters breed in the Keys. Some of them swim north. Most don?t survive long enough to make it to our area, but those that do are GIANTS buy the time they get here.