• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NSully

Beach Comber
As a soon-to-be full time Santa Rosa Beach resident, I thought it would be cool to learn how to incorporate the local flavors into my daily cooking. Know of any place that offers cooking classes in local cuisine? Fish? Cajun? Sauces.... etc.....

I appreciate it :chill: !!

30abob

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I'm not sure about local "flavors"... almost everything here (and everybody) is from somewhere else. The only place offering lessons that comes to mind is the Kitchen place at the Market Shops of Sandestin (behind the Starbucks). I don't have a personal referral since I've never been but the staff there seems really nice.

Camellia

Beach Fanatic
Nov 26, 2004
Kitchenique in the previously mentioned Market shops is a fabulous place to go. They have been there for at least a decade. I've taken many classes there over the years and consider it to be one of the best kept secrets and deals around. They serve interesting wines along with the cooking demonstration/dinners. They have a web site with all the classes. Have fun.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I think once you master "smoked mullet and raw oysters" it's all pretty much 'non-local flavors' from there.

Last edited:

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
What about cooter pie, poke salat and donax broth?

Seriously--I think it's great to want to learn the local foodways. I don't know of anyplace teaching them officially, but am connected with a lot of folks who are very supportive of local everything. I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

And here's my fave crab recipe:

West Indies Salad

1-2 sweet onions, chopped
If they're not REALLY sweet, soak in vinegar* with salt and pepper while prepping remainder of dish

several stalks celery, chopped
1/2 cup pecans halved lengthwise
fresh herbs of your choice--I use Mexican tarragon for its sweetness, and it holds up in the summer heat here unlike regular tarragon which perishes early

good olive oil
pink peppercorns

1 lb. crabmeat (I like claw meat best, most flavor and sweetest, but hard to find)

ice and cold water

Once it's all prepped, toss together all ingredients gently, cover and refrigerate an hour or more before serving. Great as appetizer, or can be a whole meal with some stout bread and maybe steamed asparagus or sliced maters on the side.

I know, the amounts are vague, sorry. I'm not big on measuring, I cook to taste. Mainly you don't want too much vinegar, and you don't want it overpowered with onion.

Once served, take out any remaining ice cubes so they won't water it down too much. This is better the next day usually.

*Vinegar. I like to combine several -- apple cider for its bite, tarragon vinegar for sweetness, sherry vinegar for richness and depth, and umeboshi plum vinegar for its salty punch.

-----------------------

There's long been a beekeeping tradition in these parts, and I've heard some old timers know how to make honey ice cream. I would love that recipe.

I will try to remember to post here if I find out about any local cooking classes.

Oh, Shueh Mei at the Viking store at Silver Sands is a fantastically creative chef, and occasionally gives demos there. Not sure about classes. She and her husband Charles created the original Basmati's in Seaside -- early fusion cuisine, blending Asian, coastal and Southern techniques and ingredients for some of the best food ever served in Walton County. The current Basmati's menu has vestiges of that original energy, but I miss Shueh Mei's matchless subtlety and balance.

NSully

Beach Comber
Kitchenique in the previously mentioned Market shops is a fabulous place to go. They have been there for at least a decade. I've taken many classes there over the years and consider it to be one of the best kept secrets and deals around. They serve interesting wines along with the cooking demonstration/dinners. They have a web site with all the classes. Have fun.

Thanks Carmen! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for....coming from New England and then Ohio I am going to need to change up my cooking style..couple of demos at kitchenique should do the trick! :clap:

NSully

Beach Comber
What about cooter pie, poke salat and donax broth?

Seriously--I think it's great to want to learn the local foodways. I don't know of anyplace teaching them officially, but am connected with a lot of folks who are very supportive of local everything. I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

And here's my fave crab recipe:

West Indies Salad

1-2 sweet onions, chopped
If they're not REALLY sweet, soak in vinegar* with salt and pepper while prepping remainder of dish

several stalks celery, chopped
1/2 cup pecans halved lengthwise
fresh herbs of your choice--I use Mexican tarragon for its sweetness, and it holds up in the summer heat here unlike regular tarragon which perishes early

good olive oil
pink peppercorns

1 lb. crabmeat (I like claw meat best, most flavor and sweetest, but hard to find)

ice and cold water

Once it's all prepped, toss together all ingredients gently, cover and refrigerate an hour or more before serving. Great as appetizer, or can be a whole meal with some stout bread and maybe steamed asparagus or sliced maters on the side.

I know, the amounts are vague, sorry. I'm not big on measuring, I cook to taste. Mainly you don't want too much vinegar, and you don't want it overpowered with onion.

Once served, take out any remaining ice cubes so they won't water it down too much. This is better the next day usually.

*Vinegar. I like to combine several -- apple cider for its bite, tarragon vinegar for sweetness, sherry vinegar for richness and depth, and umeboshi plum vinegar for its salty punch.

-----------------------

There's long been a beekeeping tradition in these parts, and I've heard some old timers know how to make honey ice cream. I would love that recipe.

I will try to remember to post here if I find out about any local cooking classes.

Oh, Shueh Mei at the Viking store at Silver Sands is a fantastically creative chef, and occasionally gives demos there. Not sure about classes. She and her husband Charles created the original Basmati's in Seaside -- early fusion cuisine, blending Asian, coastal and Southern techniques and ingredients for some of the best food ever served in Walton County. The current Basmati's menu has vestiges of that original energy, but I miss Shueh Mei's matchless subtlety and balance.

Thanks Susan! Seems like your cooking style is very similar to mine. :D I never measure...just keep adding stuff until it tastes good! that's my cooking motto. (Which makes me a horrendous baker) Thanks for the great response and your fave crab recipe!

Last edited:

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
NSully--

I' not much at baking either, LOL! Unless I follow the recipe strictly, and that's not easy for the likes of me. I have one pie I can make that always turns out, and one basic savory crust (from James Beard's ancient little food processor cookbook -- I'm showing my age again).

So far no luck on locating local food classes.

When are you moving here?

NSully

Beach Comber
NSully--

I' not much at baking either, LOL! Unless I follow the recipe strictly, and that's not easy for the likes of me. I have one pie I can make that always turns out, and one basic savory crust (from James Beard's ancient little food processor cookbook -- I'm showing my age again).

So far no luck on locating local food classes.

When are you moving here?

I hear ya...ladies who usually cook with our style, typically steer clear of baking. I too have one recipe...a cherry pie/tart concoction.....
well, I like it:dunno: We are moving down the first week of June..the day after my little ones are done with school....we are VERY excited!

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
I hear ya...ladies who usually cook with our style, typically steer clear of baking. I too have one recipe...a cherry pie/tart concoction.....
well, I like it:dunno: We are moving down the first week of June..the day after my little ones are done with school....we are VERY excited!

More details, please... as much as you feel OK sharing, that is. What grade will the little ones enter here in August? Public, private or homeschool? Where moving to?

To share equally--I'm in Seagrove, kids are teens, we've done public school homeschool and private....now, one in boarding school in Alabama and one a freshman at The University (of Alabama, his parents' alma mater). Resident here since 1984, vacationer here whole life, and conceived in Tallahassee, lived there as a wee tot (don't remember much) so I sorta kinda claim halfway native status ;-) T'hassee still feels very familiar and comfy to me, more like hometown than where I grew up (Montgomery).