• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beaudroix

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2007
Miramar Beach
FYI - I have had three friends call today warning about a local credit card scam happening this week. Rumor has it the common denominator is at the Watercolor Publix but my friend had this happen yesterday at Publix in Destin. Amounts have ranged from $275 to $500. When they checked their accounts it showed these charges were going to a Walmart in South Florida...

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I know 3 people who traced their fraudulent charges to the Seagrove Tom Thumb- late last week.

BeachBumChick

Beach Crab
Jul 23, 2008
Miramar Beach
I have two friends this happened to over the weekend as well. One friend lost about $200 and the other lost about $580. We are hearing the Publix by WaterColor as well. Both of them had charges from around Cape Coral, Weston and West Palm Beach area. Some were at Wal-Mart, a grocery store in south Florida and gas stations. Everyone needs to be watching their bank accounts closely.

EllieCouture

Beach Comber
Jan 10, 2012
Thank you for the posts! I just logged into my bank account and there are fraudulent charges that were made yesterday to my credit card at a Walmart in Jacksonville Florida. I use my card several times a week at Publix in Santa Rosa and Grand Blvd. Not sure if this is where the breach occurred, but it is a scary thought that this is happening in our area and we can't identify where it is ok to use our cards safely. Hope they catch the culprits soon!

SouthernBelle

Beach Comber
Oct 5, 2011
SoWal
We have several friends this has happened to also and I was just saying this morning I can not belive the news channel has nothing on it, but you know how our 'news' goes...
Hope they hurry up and catch the culprit. Think I am going to steer clear of Publix for a little bit just to stay safer:sosad:

EllieCouture

Beach Comber
Jan 10, 2012
After I finished the call with my bank, I contacted the Sheriff's office and they said they have had about fifty calls on this today. Hopefully the local news will make the decision to disseminate the information/alert out to the community so they will be aware.

[h=1][/h]

On a related matter, someone used the routing number and account number on a check that we wrote to pay one of Mom's bills (she has Alzheimer's so is incapable of taking care of her bills). A hacker used this info to use her account info to electronically pay for online purchases. Thankfully Suntrust reimbused Mom's account. But now my sister and I are having to dig up the info to transfer the deposits from her Social Security, her pension, and her other income to a new account. Plus we are having to notify the automatic debits to debit from the new account. It is a real PITA.

Hacking is so easy. It's plain scary. I would suggest to you to never use your debit card at a restaurant, etc., where the card itself is out of your view. The server or clerk could write down the account number and three-digit code on the back and wipe our your account.

What we do is have a separate bank account that we transfer a limited amount of money to. If we give someone the debit card, there is a limited amount on that account so we don't get wiped out. We also don't write checks on our big accounts so that a large amount money can't be stolen from those accounts. We only write checks from the small account.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
I know of about 20 people now who have had their cards jacked in the last week, in addition to those reported here. Cards are both credit and debit. Different card companies and different banks. Nothing more than suspicions at this time as to the common denominator(s) for the thefts. Many charges are in south Florida at Walmart, others in S Florida at Walgreens and Marshalls. Some suspect gas station, and others suspect grocery store, while others think a bar, and a couple think it may be the bank as the point of theft. Again, all speculation as of right now.

Walton County Investigator sends the following notice:

I am requesting that all Victims meet with Investigator Donna Armstrong and I at the South Walton Sheriff’s Office Sub-Station on Friday March 9, 2012 at 10:00 A.M.

During this meeting formal complaints will be taken by the Sheriff’s Office. Please have the following information at the meeting.

A copy of your Bank Statement for the period that the fraudulent charges occurred. If a bank statement is not available, the dates, times, locations, and amounts of the fraudulent charges will be needed to file a formal complaint.

The South Walton Sub-Station is located at 133 Sheriff’s Drive in Santa Rosa Beach. On the east side of 331 just south of the water tower.

Thank You.
Inv. Billy Dozier
Walton County Sheriff’s Office
(850) 892-8186