• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Oh that's easy. One has to run spend a lot of time, money, mudslinging, and aggravation to run against against 5 or 6 others to get on the ballot in November, the other just signs up and is on the ballot.;-)
You are right on and it is a firm indication that the system is unfair and broken.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I respectfully agree with about 98% of your views--until now. You say that Rebublicans "as a majority" picked the best candidate to run in November. That's what you did 4 years ago and it didn't honestly reflect the wishes of the voters in respect to the Sheriff's race. "Back in the Day", in an overcrowded race such as this, voters threw out the "spoilers" in the primary and got down to a legitimate choice in November. I think what you intended to referrence was a "plurality". Working under the current plurality system, a race with 10 Republicans and no Democrats could conceivably be won by a candidate with 11% of the vote. If this example reflects the "true will" of the people, I'll eat your hat raw. The only way the current system is legitimate, is if it works for you !

But that is the way the system works. I have asked for years if people wish to get together, let us charter this county, and put in a system that we like instead of a system that the State has installed that we all agree is probably not the best thing for our little community. So far, no takers. After this election, everything will go quiet for two years, and then the same arguments will start all over again about how everyone is dissatisfied and how it needs to change. The system is a political system. Yet no one wants anything to do with politics.

mossyhead

Beach Fanatic
Aug 26, 2008
Mossy Head
www.panhandleopry.com
Do we have to be a charter county to have nonpartisan elections or have the County Commission candidates run only in their district? I thought that several years ago we voted on the Commissioners running countywide.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
But that is the way the system works. I have asked for years if people wish to get together, let us charter this county, and put in a system that we like instead of a system that the State has installed that we all agree is probably not the best thing for our little community. So far, no takers. After this election, everything will go quiet for two years, and then the same arguments will start all over again about how everyone is dissatisfied and how it needs to change. The system is a political system. Yet no one wants anything to do with politics.
I am not that familar with Florida law but it would seem to me that there is another method available to us other than the charter county route which seems cumbersome at best. That is to petition the state through our elected representatives to change the system which you say they have installed. Is this a possibility? This st ate is a disaster when it comes to politics and how it conducts them.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
wrobert is the expert on this, but I THINK it is Florida law as to which races are partisan and which are not. It is my understanding that the only way to change that, for us, is to become a charter county.

I do remember that we selected BCC countywide, then we went to single-district. Then everyone screamed that it was unfair because we (District 5) didn't have a hand in selecting the other board members too, because one commissioner can't do anything by himself/herself. So we went back to countywide. I do not remember whether we voted on that or not; I'm sure we did.

mossyhead

Beach Fanatic
Aug 26, 2008
Mossy Head
www.panhandleopry.com
charter government

I think AndyA is right about charter government. In the past that was looked into in Walton County & my authority here tells me he does not remember the details, but it turned out not to be such a great idea. It would be a good idea to check with counties that have done that before taking a leap. I want to think Nassau County is one that did & regretted it, I could be wrong on which county it is.

As far as having equal representation with the Commission I think the districts are drawn according to population, each Commissioner is supposed to have close to the same number of constituents.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Do we have to be a charter county to have nonpartisan elections or have the County Commission candidates run only in their district? I thought that several years ago we voted on the Commissioners running countywide.

Charter for the non-partisan thing, or get it changed at the legislative level in Tallahassee.

We can do single member districts, but remember, that is a county wide election, and since the people in the south tend to stay home........

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I think AndyA is right about charter government. In the past that was looked into in Walton County & my authority here tells me he does not remember the details, but it turned out not to be such a great idea. It would be a good idea to check with counties that have done that before taking a leap. I want to think Nassau County is one that did & regretted it, I could be wrong on which county it is.

As far as having equal representation with the Commission I think the districts are drawn according to population, each Commissioner is supposed to have close to the same number of constituents.

If Charter government was looked at here it was prior to 1980 or my memory is totally shot. I do not recall us ever voting for or against a charter in this county.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Charter for the non-partisan thing, or get it changed at the legislative level in Tallahassee.

We can do single member districts, but remember, that is a county wide election, and since the people in the south tend to stay home........

Have "the people from the south" ever been really studied to see who really lives here and are voting? I also have a feeling that many people that live south of the bay moved here later in life from bigger metro areas (ie retired) and are all about kicking back and no worries.....comparing us to the north is pointless in every way since there is a different demographic going on. I am also wondering how many people move here from bigger metro areas and get the giggles during our local elections-

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
If Charter government was looked at here it was prior to 1980 or my memory is totally shot. I do not recall us ever voting for or against a charter in this county.

I believe incorporation was brought up back when Col. Fleet was our very first Sowal commissioner....I don't think a charter was mentioned. Is there a difference between a charter and incorporation?