• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi everyone! Call me crazy but I am planning a visit in horrendous October and can't wait to deal with the lousy weather, dangerous gators :eek:, biting flies, etc. Can anyone provide a suggestion for a local gym that offers weekly memberships for tourists or allows you to pay by the visit? We are staying in Miramar Beach.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Rosemary Beach and WaterCooler (as one of my friends says) aka- WaterColor each have daily, weekly or monthly fees, but the price of these does not compare to a run and push-ups on the beach or a swim in the Gulf. I know what you are thinking about the biting deer and butter flies, sharks, gators, etc. but durning Oct, they do not go for active people. They eat the lazy couch taters.
I am not sure, but Grayton Fitness may have weekly rates. Closer to you in Miramar, you may try Sandestin Resort on the Bayside. They have an old school gym for all of the snow birds, which is nothing too fancy, but it is practical. They may have weekly/daily rates.

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Dr Svelte & SJ! I will give the info to my friend. I will be somewhat of a lazy couch tater while there - also taking a vacation from the gym - I much prefer getting my exercise walking on the beach rather than working out inside the gym. And of course, bicep curls with a cold beverage.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
shakennotstirred said:
Thanks Dr Svelte & SJ! I will give the info to my friend. I will be somewhat of a lazy couch tater while there - also taking a vacation from the gym - I much prefer getting my exercise walking on the beach rather than working out inside the gym. And of course, bicep curls with a cold beverage.
Remeber that you can rent a kayak or a canoe for a good upper body workout.

When I'm down there, I like to get an outdoor workout. This usually consist of a martial arts type trailing. I find the best sweat to come from kneeling at the base of the dunes and punching into them vigorously. After several minutes of that I like to "sprint" up the dunes. This is really more like crawling and scrtching your way to the top and then jumping and sliding back down. Really work up a sweat that way :D
Just Kidding!!! Come on people!! :laughing1

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
:lolabove: :rotfl:

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
drsvelte said:
There's a Gold's gym on 98 right close to Mirimar beach. I don't know about short-term memberships, though.

Oh...I was a member at the Gold's Gym over in Destin. It's a major meat market. These are the people that you see in the gym and you recognize them from AJ's the prior weekend. And they will remind you that they saw you!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kimmifunn said:
Oh...I was a member at the Gold's Gym over in Destin. It's a major meat market.
So, if RiverOtter goes to Gold's, should he wear his thong over some tights? :dunno:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Just get out on the beach...you will be running like the wind in no time trying to avoid flies and sharks jumping at you from the water... also use good form in your swatting arm action for upper body. For a little variety, zig zag around the godzilla-sized jelly fish on the beach...that should keep you very busy and buff!