• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

spinner56

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2005
Huntsville,Al
I'll be coming down to Grayton Beach next week and need to know where I can pick-up a fishing license and some live bait.Also I'll be staying at a place on Western Lake and would like to know what might be biting on the lake and on what.Going to try my hand at some surf fishing also but don't to ask for tooooo much info on my first post.
Thanks for your help and the GREAT site,can't wait to get down to the beach.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
:welcome: spinner56! due to red tide and so much rain I'd take a charter trip and catch something other than septictankfish - all the good fish are offshore and seem to be staying there for now - good luck

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
SlowMovin said:
The coastal dune lakes tend to have a mixture of bass, reds, specks and the occasional flounder. Depending on the salinity you'll either get more bass and few of the others, or vice versa.

I haven't spent much time specifically on Camp Creek itself, but they're all fished similarly (with the exception of Deer Lake which is strictly freshwater and has lots of bass...and a large gator, so keep your eyes open if you stop there with kids or dogs).

You'll see a lot of mullet jumping--don't let them fool you, because you won't catch them with a rod and reel (although I understand a lot of the true old timers have a technique for doing so).

Soft plastic jigs, gold spoons and spinner baits do well. Typically the water is naturally very brown so you'll want bright yellow and chartreuse colors although a Rapala-type plug that resemble minnows or finger mullet often produces.

If you have kids, throw out a popping cork with live or frozen bait (shrimp, squid, pinfish) and you will almost certainly catch lots of catfish. Not very good to eat, but kids think it's a blast.

:welcome:

spinner56

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2005
Huntsville,Al
Thanks for the info !!!! I'm looking forward to my visit.I think I might fit in pretty good down there,I'm a strange people(or soooooo I'm told) with 3 great dogs(staying at home).LOL !!!!!!!! I'll still need a license to fish in the surf,any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
sp56
a beach bum want to be

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
spinner56 said:
Thanks for the info !!!! I'm looking forward to my visit.I think I might fit in pretty good down there,I'm a strange people(or soooooo I'm told) with 3 great dogs(staying at home).LOL !!!!!!!! I'll still need a license to fish in the surf,any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
sp56
a beach bum want to be

Are you saying we are strange?? :lol:

Get a license before you come:
http://www.floridaconservation.org/license.html

spinner56

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2005
Huntsville,Al
OH NO not at all.Just something I read on a T shirt I saw here on the site,I got to get one while I'm down there.
Forgot to mentiion that 99% of my fishing is catch and release.

sp56