• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

citymouse

Beach Lover
Nov 17, 2006
seagrove
No matter how many times I attempt to teach myself, for some reason, I screw it up every time. My attempts at knitting look like your worst nightmare.

Teaching yourself is definitely more challenging than having someone there to teach/help you !! That's what's so great about knitting in a group !
I'd say I'm an intermediate knitter (NOT advanced!) :blush: I'd be more than happy to teach you the basics though. Knit and purl is all you need. Casting on can be especially challenging at first.

Last edited:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
No matter how many times I attempt to teach myself, for some reason, I screw it up every time. My attempts at knitting look like your worst nightmare.

I ended up teaching myself with a CD-Rom. I'm a lefty that had to learn right-handed. If I can do it, anyone can.

My mom, the "crochet everything with Wally-World acrylic" queen, used to laugh at me trying to crochet and swore I'd never learn to knit. I think that spurred me on to prove her wrong.:D

I can show you some nightmare stuff, though. The kids use it for dress up and play. Little guy was running around tonight with my first attempt at a hat, a pink & purple fuzzy thing, perched atop his head. They've been playing with it for over a year or so now.

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
Sad thing is.. I've actually had someone teach me in person :eek:
I can cast on, I can knit, and I can purl... but something really bad happens in the process and I apparently add stitches all the time. Every time I try to just knit a square, I end up with this cornucopia shaped object. One of my good friends is a very advanced knitter and she tried to show me what I was doing wrong. Oh boy... that didn't go so well. She eventually gave up :rotfl:

Maybe one day I'll get up the guts to join ya'll. I can sew, cook, bake, install electric, lay wood floors, and lots of other cool stuff, but knitting may stump me.

citymouse

Beach Lover
Nov 17, 2006
seagrove

i used to add stitches on all the time too. it happens when you are accidentally twisting your top stitch to the back of the needle and it ends up looking like two stitches instead of one.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
FYI- the Walton County Library has DVDs on knitting, for anyone wanting to learn.

Saw a license plate holder on a car a while back which read, "Knitting takes balls." lol.

One of my former students whom I absolutely adore has a very successful yarn store in Lansing http://www.threadbearfiberarts.com/. They organize knitting groups. It really sounds like they have fun. I personally have never knitted, but I do like doing needlepoint.

Matt is a genius and just has the greatest personality. He majored in computer science, yet found knitting to be his passion. He did the website BTW.

Anyhow, if you need high-quality yarn, he sells it on his website.

Have funn knitting!:wave:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
This is a wonderful idea, OM. I'll be at the Coastal Dune Lake Management Plan meeting all day tomorrow. Maybe I can stop by and just drink coffee and watch ya'll knit. Do a stitch for me. It is 5 p.m.?

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Thank you!

:wave:It was great to meet each of you! I felt kind of spacey keeping one eye on my wanderer.... Need to find a user friendly place, in more ways than one.

We can also use my home when needed, as we have a 7 foot table with benches and plenty of open space.

I was going to do a poll, but for some reason can't find the info to do so. Please find BeachKnits group on here. It can be accessed through my personal page easily. Then post days and times that would be good for you all.

Headed to bed, so this will be short. Have a great evening!

Last edited:

4dogs

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Beginner

For all of you who do not know how to knit or afraid of embarrassing yourselves, don't worry.

I participated last night and it was a pleasant experience. I did not have yarn or needles, no problem. Organicmamma lent me both and I learned how to cast on and do a stitch not sure which one but I learned.

I am going out and getting yarn and needles so I can practice.

It was a nice group of people with all sorts of experience. One person used 3 needles at once, I was amazed.

Last edited: