• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I agree that people should be just as careful about foreign seafood as Gulf seafood - I was always taught to look for the "certified wild american shrimp" logo.

This article made no sense - it says gulf seafood is safe because it has been tested. Then it gives numerous examples of how foreign seafood isn't safe because the FDA has limited resources and only tests a small percentage of it - and not for everything.

So when the FDA tests American fish we should be reassured when they say it is safe, but when the FDA tests foreign fish and says it is safe we shouldn't believe it? :dunno:

"Thousands of tests done by state and federal agencies and universities have shown the gulf shrimp and other seafood being sold today and served from coast to coast to coast are free of any harmful levels of oil and dispersants."

When did they start testing for dispersants? Last I heard they just decided to figure out a test for it but didn't have one.

Basically the whole article made me not want to eat ANY seafood.

Chandra

Beach Fanatic
Eating is tricky business these days, especially eating seafood and the little yummy shrimp is at the center of so much angst. I stay away from shrimp, except on rare occasions I will indulge in Gulf shrimp, and be grateful, and enjoy. The reasoning is simply that shrimp destined for first world countries are grown in polluted, overcrowded, unregulated conditions and farmers are destroying their natural ecosystems (typically mangroves that provide a buffer from flooding) to meet the demands of first-worlders.

If you get Gulf shrimp, which would be my preference even though they are more expensive, some sea turtles are still in danger, even with turtle excluder devices. Also, approximately five times as much bycatch is killed for every pound caught. To me, that just seems like an unacceptable amount of waste for a non-essential luxury protein source.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I wouldn't eat anything out of the Gulf right now. Dispersants are still being sprayed. There aren't any shrimp left. Say what you will, but i'll take a shrimpers word for it.

Shrimpers on Opening Day: ?We caught 12 shrimp?, ?Nothing at all? ? ?Generations of shrimping ? DONE? | Florida Oil Spill Law

Where are dispersants being sprayed? If this is true we should gather and share the full details so we could do something about it. But if it isn't true we shouldn't say it is.

:dunno:

I hear lots of rumors too. But no one seems to be able to provide any verifiable proof of their claims. Blogs aren't proof, IMHO since blogs exist that prove we have never been on the moon and that it was left wing environmentalists who sabotaged the Deepwater Horizon and caused the spill to advance alternative energy.

Dwight Williams

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
I like my shrimp cooked in a saute pan at high heat with olive oil, white wine, garlic, and just a dash of Corexit. You all have your own, I have mine....

Koa

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2010
It sure is easier to get a BP check if you aren't catching any fish, or shrimp.
I'm with Geo -- if dispersant is still being sprayed, let's see some proof. I want photos or something other than third hand stories.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
If you want to eat seafood out of the same water where the following is what it looks like on the beaches, have at it. I've got all the proof i need. I believe the people of the gulf coast, not BP or the Federal government. They've proven themselves to me already. :wave:

Last edited by a moderator: