• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
I wanted to pass on this link: Kicking it for Jason to a website about Jason Thompson who is a local youth soccer coach and self-employed business owner who is very ill with cancer. Jason needs the financial support of the SoWal community.

I don't know Jason personally, but was given the link by Christian Franek of US98 Soccer. Jason was very involved as a coach in the age-group of one of my sons and I saw him regularly at practices and games.

I have been very touched by his story and the sudden onset and ferocity of the cancer that he has. He is at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville and very ill.

doGooD

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I know Jason personally, but I have not heard from him in over a week. I am worried. If anyone has an update- please pm me. Thank you.

doGooD

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Thank you camp Creek Kid. I am terribly worried for him. Please pray for him everyone. There really is power in prayer. We love you Jason. On a side note, Jason is also an aspiring graphic designer. He is a very talented young man. He volunteered as a coach, though he had no children of his own. He has always been so patient with the kids and cares more about teaching than winning. He is a jewel. Thank you to those who post this information. If there is a fundraiser event in the future, I hope I can help.

DCFinSCB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 27, 2007
Ol' Point Washingtern, FL
Here is an update, and I have to say, reading this has definitely shaken me up even more. If anyone can help organize a fundraising effort to help Jason in what must be the scariest times of his and his family's life, please do not hesitate to contact me.

June 24 update: Drs. extracted bone marrow from his lower back yesterday. When they went to extract the marrow (normally jelly-like fluid) they took out a solid chunk-the cancer/ acute leukemia has completely taken over the bone marrow in the lower backbone. He also has cancer in his spinal fluid which causes compression and is affecting the use of his left leg to where he could barely lift it. They gave him steroids and chemo in the spinal canal yesterday which gave him a lot more strength today-really good sign.

Since his last CT scan the cancer has grown drastically. The liver has extended out and down, pressing on his spleen. There are multiple tumors on his liver; the largest one last CT scan was about 4 x 4 cm and is now 6 x 6 cm/a little over 2 x 2 in. He has a swollen belly due to the size of the liver (When you are a child you have an adult size liver and the stomach is enlarged-which is how Jason looks) There is a mass in the testicle. The lymph nodes are enlarged (they should not be more than a cm). There is cancer in both hip bones and in Sacrum (adjacent to pelvic bone), which looks like Swiss cheese on the CT image.

Now, Doctors do not think they will be able to figure out what kind of cancer he has: Acute Lymphoma or Leukemia also called Histiocytic sarcoma or acute myeloid leukemia with monocytic differentiation(the difference between the two are different types of cell lines). They look very similar, and are complicated and rare. They will have to choose one cancer treatment which may help the other kind of cancer. They are still deciding on the best treatment and will definitely start tomorrow and do it aggressively-with maybe only one chance. They will give treatment specifically in the spinal fluid 2xs a week during the other treatment for the rest of the body. Need to radiate testicles.

They will probably do the Leukemia treatment since it is aggressive and could potentially kill both diseases. Over a week period of time and blood levels will get low. He will be sick with sores in mouth and need nutritional support. He will have one week of treatment and 3-5 weeks hospitalization, which may cure the lymphoma and leukemia. Other treatment would be 1 day and repeating every 2-3 weeks, but it would not likely cure the leukemia.

He will have CT, radiation, and ultrasound of the heart today. He is having a good day, can stand and ate all his breakfast.

Jason is not able to receive Medicaid since he doesn’t have a child. He also must be 100% disabled (unable to be employed to even answer phones) in order to qualify. Not a candidate for research-because he has more than one type of thing going on. There have only been 20 cases in last 20 years of this kind of Histiocytic Sarcoma.

For more information and updates: www.kickingitforjason.com

Last edited:

Hula girl

Beach Crab
Jun 25, 2009
t-shirts

I still have Kicking It for Jason t-shirts available if anyone wants to purchase one and make a contribution towards Jason's treatment and recovery. They are $15 each. His family is in the process of setting up the account. We've raised money at the Soccer by the Surf tournament in WaterSound a few weeks ago. Thanks to everyone who donated. I can meet out at Helen McCall park on Tuesdays or Wednesdays if anyone is interested. We have youth and adult t-shirts available. Let me know in advance and shirt sizes and let's raise some more money to help Jason and his family.

DCFinSCB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 27, 2007
Ol' Point Washingtern, FL
We found out the week of our inaugural "Soccer by the Surf" Tournament that Soccer Academie INTER98 and A.C. U-12 Coach, and fantastic volunteer, Jason Thompson had been diagnosed with cancer. Those who had seen Jason drop roughly 30 pounds over the Spring Season knew something was certainly wrong, but we had no idea it was of this magnitude. Jason is 28 years old, self-employed, and has no insurance. In an effort to kick-off local fundraising on his behalf, a "Soccer by the Surf" Tournament T-Shirt and a "Kicking It For Jason" T-Shirt have been designed for sale, with all proceeds going towards Jason, his fight against cancer, and his eventual recovery. If for no other reason than to show Greater South Walton's support and appreciation of this young man who really did dedicate and volunteer so much of his time to us and Our Community's Children, please purchase a shirt to help Jason. He has literally reached out to the community for help, and we'll do everything we can not to let him down. We plan on helping organize other fundraisers on Jason's behalf, but we hope this is a good start!

T-Shirts should be available for purchase and donations accepted soon on the website. In the meantime, please go through Hula Girl (above) to show your support through the purchase of a great shirt for a great cause.

Also, you can now blog on Jason's website, www.kickingitforjason.com, and show your support by letting him know that he is not forgotten, he is in our hopes and prayers, and "he will never walk alone" in this fight!

Sincerely,
Christian Franek
President
US98 Soccer
www.us98soccer.com