Adoption Looking to adopt a dog

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Beth262, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Beth262

Beth262 Beach Comber

Hi,

My husband and I are empty nesters living in Blue Mountain Beach. Our last rescue dog died Oct 2018 from old age ailments at probably age 14/15. We had him for 8 years. He was believed to have been a Lhasa apso. Our son is allergic to cats and shedding dogs which was why he was the perfect rescue dog for our family. He’s in college now but still returns home for visits.

I’ve been searching for low shedding dog, no particular size or gender. Our preference would be a dog under the age of 5. We live right at the beach on a coastal dune lake and we have a pool that’s fenced in. We will have a ton of time to spend with our new family member and he will be an only child. I’ve had difficulty finding a low shedding rescue at the local shelters and have just become a volunteer at Alaqua Animal Refuge just to be able to be around animals and try and help a wonderful organization in our community.

If you come across a dog that needs to be rehomed and you think that we may be a fit, please let me know. Thanks!
    bethmccurdy69@comcast.net

2. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

3. Beth262

Beth262 Beach Comber

Thanks, I’ve been looking on Petfinder only and had no luck. Anytime a nonshedding adult dog is posted on petfinder, they get adopted so quickly. I thought I had a chance with the last one in Panama City and when I arrived promptly when they opened, he had already been chosen immediately after arriving the day before.

4. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Good luck @Beth262

Hope you find your pup at Alaqua while you are volunteering there

5. Beth262

Beth262 Beach Comber

Thanks so much! I know that I could easily buy a lowshedding puppy (labradoodle, poodle, Maltese, etc)but I need to be patient and go the rescue route. Since my son’s in college, maybe I can at least help by fostering (a shedding breed) and work at the refuge.