Lost: Waltdini is over the wall again...

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by 30ABandMan, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Diane4145

Diane4145 Beach Fanatic

Great news!

Am I intuitive, or what?:roll: Betcha Walt man got to sleep with ya first night back, huh? My Yorkie, Twinky, would've!:wub:

2. Aleigh

Aleigh Beach Lover

Wooooooooooo Whooooooooooooo

A big wooooooo whooooooooo! :clap: Aleeza came home from school today and was just bursting with the great news!!!! Sooo excited for you... and very happy ending.... If dogs could talk???

3. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

I agree with you guys, they could have looked harder. Heck, if they had just stopped by the Tom Thumb or nearly anywhere.

I will say, he was very happy to see his us. He has been a bit clingy though, making every step I do and wanting to lay on me. I tried to take him for a walk last night and he wouldn't leave the yard.

4. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Glad Walt is home!

5. kitlit

kitlit Beach Fanatic

Poor baby! He'll settle back in soon, just being with you makes him feel safer, I'm sure! I bet that sweet thing was so confused!

6. Geo

Geo Beach Fanatic

I just saw this thread for the first time and was reading it on the edge of my seat nervous, scared, hopeful, excited, relieved, thrilled and PISSED.

DO NOT GO ON VACATION AND THEN TAKE A DOG HOME WITH YOU THAT ISN'T YOURS.

7. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

Thanks Geo, my sentiments exactly. What possible good could have come from them taking him home with them? There are SO many locals that would've helped had they just asked.

8. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

The more of these threads I see, the more pissed I get.

Frankly I think you should call the sheriff and charge these DBs with theft.

9. SlowMovin

SlowMovin Beach Fanatic

Would you mind elaborating a bit on what the chip companies did or did not do?

We have all our dogs chipped and have (so far) never had to use them, but I'm a little concerned and, now, confused about what service the company is supposed to provide. My understanding was that, when a chipped dog takes off and is then brought to animal control or a veterinarian with the proper equipment, that the vet can scan the chip, learn the owner's identity and contact them. If the dog has not been brought in anywhere, what can the company do?

Please don't take this wrong, I am not flaming you in any way. It is an honest question. I'm kind of ignorant as to what to expect should this ever happen to us.

Thanks, and I'm glad Waltdini is home safe.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
  10. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

Ken,

You are right and I don't consider it a flame. We buy the chips so that, when our pet gets out and someone good citizen takes them to a vet, pet store or refuge, they can be scanned. They do work if scanned...

Apparently, I bought an upgraded service that I was informed of when I called to report Walt missing. I was told that the service would provide me with a poster that I could put up around town. They did do that but, they could never get the geo information correct. The closest cross streets they could find were in Sandestin, this was after I had given them my address multiple times. I supplied them with a picture and basically, they cut and pasted it into a template. After going back and forth several times about the location info, they finally sent me a password so that I could edit the info myself. So far so good and even though it seemed like a long time, it was basically taken care of in about 4 hours.

The next part is the what bothered me. When I called in, I was told that I had purchased an additional service that cost $50 and that plan included help in notifying vets, pet stores, refuges, kennels and other agencies about Walt being missing. The information would be faxed and e-mailed to all of the agencies within 50 miles of my home.

The next morning and over the next two days, we contacted every agency in this area to let them know about Walt and to see if they had received the information. None had been alerted. This same was true this past Monday when I checked with many of them again.

I called and e-mailed the people after the first second day and was assured that they had and would rebroadcast his missing alert. Since that time, I have called and left three voice mails and several e-mails to the two people who initially contacted me all with no reply.

So, when Walt was recovered, I went on the website and changed his status to found, as you are supposed too. A window popped up to allow me to post my testimonial about the whole situation. I passed...

Lastly, and this is most disturbing to me, is that I was told by no less than seven of the vets we called that they normally scan a new patient/dog unless requested to do so by the owner. That is why it is so important to have the bolo's and alerts go out from the microchip company. You'd think they would have a better network in place.

Anyway, I'm very happy to have my dog back. It just proves that if you keep talking about it and asking, somewhere, someone is going to know something.

Yesterday afternoon, I was out cutting my grass and Walt was making every step with me. I had seven different people, neighbors and passersby, stop and say hey to me and Walt. They were all so happy he was home! I love this community. :)

Thanks again to everyone, I sure appreciate all of the help!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  11. Lady D

Lady D SoWal Insider

I'm so glad Walt is home. :D This is great news. Makes me happy to hear this.

12. SlowMovin

SlowMovin Beach Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. A couple of follow-up questions, if you don't mind.

First, did you mean to say above that vets do NOT normally scan for a chip when a dog is brought in? Or did I misread?

Second, would you mind telling us which company you used? I might want to avoid them.

Thanks

13. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

Yes, sorry for the typo. They do not normally scan a pet. Most are only proactive if someone ask for the pet to be scanned or if they have info about an animal fitting that description.

A local breeder told me a story yesterday about the owner of two of their French Bulldogs. Her babies got out and after a few days a lady called them and said that she had one of them and returned it to the owner. Sometime later, the owner got a call from the local P.D. asking her about her lost pet. Apparently, her dog had been scanned by a local vet. When she arrived to get her pet, it just so happend that the person that brought the dog to the vet was the SAME person who had "found" the first dog.

I guess she thought she wouldn't caught.

I used www.helpmefindmypet.com

Thanks!

14. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

Bump...

If you see his little @ss, he's out again as of 10/16.

I'm ready to pull my hair out and his too. :-/

15. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

Yay! He's home!