• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kwalsh0001

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2006
SRB
Heard a passing comment a few days ago that a large hardware store (Lowes? Home Depot?) may be coming to Santa Rosa Beach in the not-so-distant future, supposedly to be located near the Publix on 98.

Anyone else hearing the same? Any "proof" this is more than just another rumor?

Thanks

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I would bet rumor. The service area of those stores is pretty large and we don't have the year round population to support one.

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
Destin having one of each is very unique. I moved from a city of 52,000 and Lowe's wouldn't come because the Home Depot was already there. These corporations are very good at studying population density and determining where to build.

But I could be totally wrong. ;-)

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Destin having one of each is very unique. I moved from a city of 52,000 and Lowe's wouldn't come because the Home Depot was already there. These corporations are very good at studying population density and determining where to build.

But I could be totally wrong. ;-)

Around here they build them right across the street from each other.

Joby

Beach Lover
May 12, 2010
Not a fan of "big box" retailers. I'll stick with Frank's in Grayton.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The plan for that area did have several unnamed big box stores, but none looked big enough for a Home Depot. Perhaps they're trying a "boutique" store like Walmart?

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I go through a tiny town...Moultrie Georgia on my way to Mama's. They have a Lowes and a Home Depot within a stone's throw of each other. I never understood it with the town being so small.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I like having hardware/building stores that stay open late even on Sundays. That's why I prefer the big boxes over Mom and Pop. I can go on my own time, after work, whatever.

A scaled down version of a big box hardware store is probably not a good idea. You need good selection. It's one thing if Small Mart doesn't have my favorite toothpaste or a good selection of coffee makers. That can wait. If I'm working on something though, I need it right then and there. This actually makes a good case for having Lowes and Home Depot right near each other. They are not exactly alike. Each has some of its own unique stock. If one place doesn't have it, the other might.