• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
Alaqua Animal Refuge needs your help.
As many of you are aware, Walton County is currently without an animal shelter. When Animal Control picks up an animal in Walton County it is taken to a private facility outside the county. This makes it very difficult for the residents of Walton County to reclaim their lost or stolen pets. Thousands of animals, through no fault of their own, are euthanized without having a fair opportunity for their owner to find them or for the animal to find a new home. The goal of Alaqua Animal Refuge is to provide an alternative for as many of these animals as possible. Alaqua Animal Refuge is committed to serving the residents of Walton County by providing a safe, hygienic, cost-effective and efficient facility for lost, stray and abandoned animals.
The current private facility is compensated $39.98 for each animal brought to them by Walton County Animal Control. The animals are held for seven (7) days and most are then euthanized.

Alaqua Animal Refuge has submitted a proposal to the county offering to house some of these animals so they may remain in Walton County until they are adopted. This said proposal details the same compensation per animal, $39.98 currently being paid to the out of county facility.

Alaqua Animal Refuge will go in front of the County Commissioners on Tuesday, November 27 in the DeFuniak Springs Courthouse, 3rd floor. The meeting starts at 4:00 p.m. We will forward our approximate hearing time as soon as we receive it. We could use all of the support we can get and would appreciate people there to support us; alternatively you can email or call your Commissioner and voice your support. Both actions would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to cut and paste the following message to your Commissioner, and please forward this message to as many people you feel will support us:

Dear [Decision Maker],

As a concerned constituent, I am writing to urge you to support Alaqua Animal Refuge on Tuesday, November 27 by voting to accept their proposal to house, care for and support Walton County animals in need.

Let us no longer shift our burden of responsibility on to others and let's take the necessary and right steps in supporting Walton County animals. This facility will not only house, but care for and provide long term support for animals in need of forever homes.

Alaqua Animal Refuge is a non-profit Florida corporation dedicated to helping animals in need.

Signed,

[Your contact information}

Contact information for Commissioners is as follows:

District 1 ? Scott Brannon 850-835-4860 brascott@co.walton.fl.us
District 2 - Kenneth Pridgen 850-834-6328 prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us
District 3 - Larry Jones 850-892-8474 jonlarry@co.walton.fl.us
District 4 ? Sara Comander 850-835-4834 comsara@co.walton.fl.us
District 5 ? Cindy Meadows 850-622-3059 meacindy@co.walton.fl.us

Thank you for your support,

Laurie Hood
Alaqua Animal Refuge
P.O. Box 48
Freeport, Florida 32439
www.alaquaanimalrefuge.com

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Meeting is tomorrow - so please send those emails in tonight! :wave:

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
You are doing a wonderful thing! :love:

Hope you get many emails of support sent!

Thanks Scooterbug. You'll love the email that I just got!

Last night was a huge success! It passed unanimously for the county to move forward with a contract for Alaqua Animal Refuge to officially intercept animals from leaving the county as well as being paid for the animals we take.

A heartfelt thank you for all of the people who supported us! A special thanks to everyone who made the journey to DeFuniak Springs to show their support.

What an incredible win for the animals!

Laurie Hood
Alaqua Animal Refuge
P.O. Box 48
Freeport, Florida 32439
www.alaquaanimalrefuge.com

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
:clap: I hope that this turns into something good for the stray animals around here. I rescued one from the kill shelter and she is still the perfect cat for us!! To think she had only one more day:cry:

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Not trying to be smart here, but there is a lot of land 'outside of Freeport.'

The website does not give an address, except for a PO Box.

No offense taken Walton -

That is why I gave the vague answer. I have seen pictures, and met several of the group at events but have yet to make it up there. (Not to mention that I don't really know my way around the outskirts of Freeport.)

I'm sure if you contact Miss Laurie she will be happy to arrange a tour.

After all - I'm just the messenger. :wave:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Laurie rocks! And so does her husband for also hosting so many "lost souls"! :love: They both have the coveted Scooterbug seal of approval!

So glad it passed!