Manifest Destiny...

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by John G, Jan 18, 2016.

1. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

When does a Church become a Business?

Apparently the ever popular Destiny Worship Center has run into a bit of a road block on its quest for mass expansion in the area.

Most of us know Destiny as the "Mega" Church that is located in Miramar Beach, with satellite offices (venues) in Crestview, Panama City Beach and Freeport (there may be others).

The Church has been gobbling up Real Estate over the past couple of years and they may have just hit a snag in their expansion plan.

Apparently, there is a very well liked veterinarian in the Freeport area that currently occupies an office in the building that Destiny is seeking to acquire. It's my understanding that the circumstances behind this are possibly a bit questionable as now it appears this staple in the Freeport community is being bullied by the Church. This vet has often helped those in need in that community.

While the facts are slowing trickling in, one thing is for sure... There is something not very "churchy" taking place and if anyone reading this is a Destiny Member, you might want to look into the actions of your church and its administration. Churches are supposed to help people, not harm them, right?

2. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

I am sure it is a political conspiracy.

3. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

Religion and money is like religion and politics, the basis for two of the very few conspiracy theores I might actually believe. Remember, this is the church that held the prayer vigil asking God to bring back the real estate bubble.

4. sunspotbaby

sunspotbaby SoWal Insider

.mega-church wannabe.

5. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

They bought the strip mall the vet is in and were very cordial initially. Then they tried to void an existing lease they assumed and are trying to evict the vet.

6. Sun Chaser

Sun Chaser Beach Lover

Is it true the pastor makes $250,000 a year? I do know he has a bodyguard team; I have trained with one of them.

7. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

Bodyguard?

8. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Understanding renter was offered 6 months free stay at his location after least expired. Church bought the almost empty shopping center from the bank and new membership has grown so fast in Freeport area I guess they need the space.
    He's getting 6 months free,not exactly out on the street.

9. graytonbeachguy

graytonbeachguy Beach Fanatic

Steel1man:

Don't let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy. As JohnG noted, "the facts are slowing trickling in." Let's just assume there is a conspiracy and wait for trickling facts to contradict the theory. JohnG sees a conspiracy behind every trickle of facts. Shouldn't we just trust him on this?

10. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Yes, you should....

11. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Graytonbeachguy: Trickling is a drip....this has been public knowledge since mid December..FYI love a good conspiracy.

12. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

13. Misty

Misty Banned

Mega Churches are nothing more than glorified cults.

14. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

The vet should inform DWC that she prayed on it and God told her he doesn't want her to move.

15. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

I agree 110%.

We have some political folks that are members of such institutions.

Jones and Catalano are knee deep in Christian International. There was even an audio recording of R. Skipper circulated a few years ago receiving the "word". She's our tax collected and hubby Jeff is Chapmans #1 guy!

C. Anderson had her moment at Destiny about two years ago blessing everyone.

Now Destiny is looking to kick out a vet. Nice....

16. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

This is where the votes are.

17. Misty

Misty Banned

I don't really care about what people profess their religious affiliation to be or how much of their personal belongings (land, money etc.) they tithe to such organizations. To each his own.

What does bother me are people like C. Jones who profess to be "Christian" and there actions and proven track records clearly show otherwise yet, they are able to to win elections because people are mesmerized when she shows up at their door begging for votes using God as her crutch. Bible thumpers just annoy the hell out of me!

I don't understand why you feel the need to drag R. Skipper into this though. Again, I don't care what her religious affiliation is. Ms. Skipper has proven over and over again that she is more than capable of doing the job she has been elected to do and as far as I know her actions (in regard to her job performance) have always been above reproach. In fact, she has even saved the taxpayers money which is always a plus and there have never been any scandals attached to the office she holds unlike those of C. Jones and C. Anderson. R. Skipper's husband ins't a politician either so who his friends are don't concern me. I tend to think that when you truly walk in faith your actions publicly and privately reflect that and in Ms. Skipper's case, I find that to be true. There are many others though who currently hold public office that I wouldn't say that about. There are more hypocrites sitting in the pews on Sunday in Defuniak than there are actual Christians.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  18. Danny Glidewell

Danny Glidewell Beach Fanatic

Being a Christian is a way of life and an individual choice. Being a member of a church and being a Christian are two totally different things. I cannot look inside someone's heart so I do not know what their relationship is with Jesus Christ and I put little stock in which particular church someone belongs to. I also realize that being a Christian does not mean you are perfect, the Bible teaches that all of us are sinners. But I do recognize than certain behaviors are not Christ like and that if someone acts like the devil, they are probably more connected to him than to Jesus. I try to base my voting on putting people in office who have a love for their community and a desire to improve the conditions of everyone. I do not expect candidates to agree with me on every issue nor do I base a vote on any one issue. I try to vote for good people instead of good fund raisers or good politicians.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. wastinaway

wastinaway Beach Comber

I'm not a huge fan of Destiny - their approach to Christianity is very business-like. You follow this 3-step program and BOOM you're a Christian too. Rinse, wash and repeat. They focus on recruiting, talk the talk, and usually put on a good show - but it was very hard for me to find a deeper meaning in most of the messages.

However, this situation really doesn't seem that unorthodox. I mean, they bought the building in 2014 and the first thing they did was put their offices on one end of the building and the church on the other. Who couldn't look at that and assume they would eventually want to connect the two?

She already owns all of the equipment she needs. I understand she'd have to move it to a new place, but according to the article they're not charging her 3-4 months rent, so hopefully that helps cover most of the moving costs, and maybe some advertising cost to let folks know where your new place is. Many commercial rentals will buildout for their new tenant and build the cost into the rent over a multi-year contract, so depending on where she ends up there might not be any up-front costs for that either.

While it's an incredible inconvenience to the business, it seems like the real conspiracy in this story comes from having just the right pieces to make it a heartbreaker. An injured veteran being bullied by a big church (that certainly isn't the most friendly organization).

Hiring a lawyer will just cost her money that it sounds like she doesn't have anyway, and what is the end result? Best case scenario, she ends up with a landlord that obviously doesn't want her there. And worst case, she loses and has to move out immediately. Oh, and the lawyer still takes his cut of whatever is left of her business. And the paper can do a follow-up to document the tragedy.