• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm just curious as to why there isn't any mass transit on 30A? Like a bus or some other form. :dunno:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
So it was a funding issue?

If I remember it was a poor economic model issue. The only way it would pay would be with government subsidies. So the case would have had to be made that subsidizing this private entity was more cost effective then solving the traffic problem.

Maybe that is when they just ordered another consultant study to see about the problem. And of course now it is worse.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I found the following in a Feb 22, 2000 meeting. I guess this Spencer has some sort of a franchise in sowal for this service.

Attorney Mike Chesser, representing Mr. Gary Spencer and the Grayton Trolley Franchise, appeared before the Board and explained Amendment I to the franchise. Mr. Chesser read the franchise terms which stated the expiration of the first term of the franchise is amended to April, 2010, thereafter, the term will be extended for a minimum term of two additional ten year renewals, unless evidence is provided that the franchise should not be extended. Attorney Miller stated that a public hearing will be held before each renewal is granted, advising that it is not an automatic renewal.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Hmm, even if it was a private enterprise I would be leary if the franchise can be dropped by the BCC.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
One hurdle to jump with a mass transit in SoWal is the issue of wet, sandy seats.

The County has been avoiding this problem for a long time, and it will be one of those, oops when they realize the problem should have been addressed five years before they actually do something about it.