• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Cold Weather Shelters Opening in Walton County

I am a born and raised Floridian, never lived more than a 100 miles from where I came into this world. And it gets cold here. Always has. Now maybe not as cold as it use to, but I certainly remember the low teens and approaching zero when I stood by the road waiting on the yellow bus to pick me up. And while cold, riding up and down the river looking for the next place to sit in the cold and wait on a deer to wander by was never a problem. So when did we get to the point that when it gets to freezing we open a cold weather shelter? What is next? Are we going to set an upper limit? Are people no longer responsible for anything?

You would have made a lousy Inkeeper a couple thousand years ago.

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
I am thankful that I've always had a roof over my head ,a warm bed in winter, food for my table. I have tried to teach my kids not everyone is that fortunate,it never hurts to help someone who is down on their luck for whatever reason, they get it. We sometimes see people walking through our area in the fall going south, in the spring see some walking north, don't think anyone would do this if they had a choice.

Macs

Beach Crab
Nov 29, 2010
No. The die hard libertarian types believe you made your bed, now you get to lie in it - even if it is outdoors and freezing cold. You should have made better choices, see? All that tromping around in the snow when you are young toughens you up, makes you understand what it means to be responsible for your own destiny. So you took control of your life, made the right moves, and now you are toasty warm in the winter. If someone else isn't, well, it's just their own fault.
Or something like that, maybe bad karma, but you can be sure they are paying for some mistake or other.

Not true. Libertarians believe that it's wrong to take by force money from one group of people and give it to another group of people. That's why libertarians oppose all types of government welfare, whether it's for politicians, corporations, foreign countries or for the poor. Local, privately funded charities are the way to go.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Yes, I know that is what they say. Charity is okay, just let me choose where and how much I give, or if I even give at all. But government is one of the social institutions we have evolved as a mechanism to help care for people who need help. By all means not the only one, and not a perfect one either. Charities are the same mixed bag - some are fine, some are not so fine. But this is all beside the point. What I really object to is the attitude so prevalent these days that for some reason or another people are not deemed worthy of help by those who think that they have gotten to where they have gotten in life all by their own effort. None of us makes it or fails to make it by ourselves.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
"There but for the grace of God go I."

Thanks DFS for doing something to help those in their time of need in the city. It's not just a big city problem anymore. Sleeping outside in freezing temps is much harder than waiting on the bus for 15 minutes while bundled up. We will see more elderly and homeless this year that need help, I am afraid. It is interesting that all of the other shelters in the other counties are run by churches and ours, here in DFS, is not.

I do believe this was opened last year during freezing weather, as well.

Then why are we not working on things that would prevent people from getting in these situations to start with? This seems like a reaction to something that we have allowed to get out of control, rather than fixed in the beginning.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Yes, I know that is what they say. Charity is okay, just let me choose where and how much I give, or if I even give at all. But government is one of the social institutions we have evolved as a mechanism to help care for people who need help. By all means not the only one, and not a perfect one either. Charities are the same mixed bag - some are fine, some are not so fine. But this is all beside the point. What I really object to is the attitude so prevalent these days that for some reason or another people are not deemed worthy of help by those who think that they have gotten to where they have gotten in life all by their own effort. None of us makes it or fails to make it by ourselves.

Exactly. But does this not send the message to not worry, or even try, because the ultimate safety net will be there to catch you? And where does it all end?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I am thankful that I've always had a roof over my head ,a warm bed in winter, food for my table. I have tried to teach my kids not everyone is that fortunate,it never hurts to help someone who is down on their luck for whatever reason, they get it. We sometimes see people walking through our area in the fall going south, in the spring see some walking north, don't think anyone would do this if they had a choice.

I believe some are of their lot by choice. Maybe a small percentage, but I am sure some are.