1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Mediacom Internet & Video Service After Hurricane Michael

Discussion in 'Business, Goods and Services' started by kurt, Oct 13, 2018 at 8:03 PM.

1. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Does anyone know if all Mediacom service is out in Walton County? Please post if you know anything about status of service and repair. Or if you have service. Thank you!

2. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

This is from the Mediacom Communications web site dated 10/13/2018:

Hurricane Michael Special Weather Statement

"The temporary loss of Mediacom broadband and phone service in the Sandestin area is due to 14 miles of severely damaged fiber between Highway 77A and Southport. In a second area east of Panama City, we have more than 25 miles of damaged fiber that is obstructing video transmission from Gulf County to Walton County. We are working on a temporary solution to hopefully restore high speed data and phone services to Sandestin, and Santa Rosa beach areas by late today. Video services will take longer as we work on another solution to restore these services."

It would be nice if their Internet and Phone service came back.

3. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Thanks!

4. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

Thanks for sharing! My Mediacom internet is still out in Grayton. Does it work for anybody in SRB yet?

5. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

We are so fortunate in South Walton to have been spared. I know that being without internet and cable is inconvenient especially for local businesses just getting back open. Most of us have power now and the shelter of our homes. I am seeing some locals and many second homeowners (who are not even here) complaining about mediacom on social media. While we do appreciate any status reports on local services I hope we can focus our concerns and efforts on our friends and neighbors and their devasted communities.

6. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Ours is out in Seagrove. Inlet beach is out. The way I’m interpreting the report above is they have at least two places with Many Miles of damaged line That Feed Our Area. I’ve heard from two places that their Hub was in Wewahitchka and was destroyed. I may be wrong, but it is sounding like we should brace for 3 to 4 weeks, and then we might be pleasantly surprised if it is sooner.

7. seabythegrove

seabythegrove Beach Fanatic

And your personal internet and phone service is more important than the thousands of people without a home, a meal or shirt on their back? This thread should be deleted!

8. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

This morning that portion of the mediacom statement was changed to:

"Work continues around the clock on a temporary solution to restore connectivity to our Southport facility and restore High Speed Data and Phone services to Sandestin and surrounding areas. We appreciate everyone's understanding while we complete this work as quickly as possible."

9. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

Our Mediacom cable internet appears to be working in Grayton again.

10. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

I disagree about the thread being deleted. I agree that there are more immediate problems. Everybody is working hard to help those in need. We are simply trying to share information about this topic. Many people rely on internet connectivity for communication and some of us have to go back to work on Monday and our jobs depend on having internet connectivity.

11. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

Thanks for sharing.

12. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

Some people rely on internet for business and personal needs. Some even critical. We can have specific needs in life without ignoring others.

13. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

My internet is back up but not the Cable TV. And I agree that alot of businesses rely on the internet to perform daily tasks.

14. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

Thanks. Where are you? If people can state location, and approx. when it returned, it might help others.

15. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

From my sources, it is now back in Watersound West Beach, Grayton, and PT. Washington I think. From my personal experience, it is not in Seagrove. I feel disillusioned about the injustice in life... just kidding!! It’s happy hour ya’ll!

16. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Walton Dunes BeachCam is back up so Mediacom working in that area.

17. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

If you feel guilty, why don't you turn off your A/C and don't bathe for a few days.

18. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Mediacom Internet working at the Moon Creek Gallery on 283 in Grayton Beach. Anyone is welcome to come by and use our WIFI.

19. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

I have one report that Mediacom internet is weak and intermittent at Hidden Beach Villas in Seagrove.

20. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

Maybe everyone has already thought of this, but why not just use your phone as a WIFI hotspot?