• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

queenmary

Beach Comber
Oct 10, 2007
Seacrest
www.IDimpact.com
Help! We are recently bundled with phone,cable and internet from Mediacom (who ever thought this was a good idea?) and trying to get an Asante router to work with an Airport wireless system and also be able to directly connect the cable modem to a Dell PC not equipped with wireless capability. Mediacom tech support has told us to go play in traffic. (For this we pay them how much $$$/month?)

We can get the ethernet connection to work with either server, but not both simultaneously. After spending approx 8 hours with two gurus in New York and Baltimore, calling mediacom, downloading "Network Magic" and trying to contact ASANTE, we are back to where we started.

We need a better guru.

Has anyone successfully used an Asante router with the Mediacom surfboard cable modem to feed both wireless and direct connect components? We are getting a big headache. Any advice, especially good advice, will be appreciated. We are willing to pay someone to tell us how to make this work!

Thanks,

QueenMary

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I do not have an Asante router but my teenage son (go figure) was able to hook the surfboard up to a non wireless (ancient) pc and then connect a linksys wireless in order for all of our laptops to work simultaneously. As usual, Mediacom was worthless when it came to helping us, but my son says the cable has to go to the Surfboard modem then to the wireless router then to the pc in order for it to work.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Maybe the night shift at mediacom will be more helpful than the day shift was. :blink: Have a glass of wine or something while your on eternal hold. ;-) Good luck. We have Linksys wireless only too. :dunno:

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
I have Mediacom cable, phone and internet. My Linksys router works well with it. It is able to connect directly to 4 computers and also connect wireless. All I had to do was connect and turn it on. I have both Macs and Windoze machines. No problems at all. Works so well that I think my neighbor is getting the signal. Never seen the Asante, but your router should work the same if it has the proper connections.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Couple quick things...

1) How many ethernet ports does the router have on the back? Most have 4 that you can plug directly in to with a 5th that is labeled either "modem" or "internet". Make sure that your cable routing goes to the modem first, to the router second, and any hard wired PC's last. Get your hardwired PC working first and then address the wireless side.
2) Make sure that the modem has your correct credentials. You should be able to type 192.168.1.254 in your browser to look at your modem config page. Remember...your modem logs into the net, and the computers log into the router. If you know that your PC works plugged directly into the modem, check the credentials, first, then move on to installing the router.
3) You may have an IP conflict. While plugged into the router...doesn't matter if you're on the web...type in 192.168.1.1 in your browser. A pop up box may appear asking for log in info. If you haven't set any up, type the word admin into the id portion and leave the password blank. If that doesn't work, flip 'em.
On the router's config page make sure that your connection type is set to automatic and change the IP address that you see to 192.168.2.1

Save your changes and try that. This works in 99% of the cases.

On another note, if you want to secure your wireless connection choose the WEP security option. I believe that this type is set for a 10 character key. Use your area code and phone # as the key so you don't have to write down the one that it can generate for you. That's one less piece of paper to keep up with!

If all else fails...:breakcomp:

Seriously, Linksys has awesome customer support, and their stuff is basically bullet proof. Going with a name brand router such as Linksys, Netgear, or Belkin can make all the difference in the world. I'm not endorsing one brand over another, but let's just say that the blue ones work great. You can get the latest version wireless router for about 50 bucks these days at any office supply store or either of the two big box electronic stores.

Hope I've hit upon something here that helps...

Beach Bimmer

Beach Fanatic
May 2, 2006
South Walton
Suggest calling Geek Squad via Best Buy in Destin or Panama City and have 'em come out. Tell 'em to bring a spare wireless modem along in case they cannot get your modem working...so they can make sure the fundamental Mediacom connections are working okay.

We use Mediacom broadband at Fired Up here in Seaside, and Comcast broadband at home in PC Beach. Our Mediacom connection is much more reliable than "Com-Crashed" has ever been...