Meeting at Commanders office tonight at 5:30

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Suzanne Harris, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Suzanne Harris

Suzanne Harris Beach Fanatic

Sara must have had a big recovery as I hear this important meeting is about a golf tournament. Too ill come to Hampton Inn meeting but important things like golf tournaments can not be postponed. Like her deposition which she was too sick to attend????????? It is rescheduled for next week. Will she get sick again?????? It is open to the public, come one come all!!!!!!! Lets see why she wrote an e mail to the county attorney NOT to publish a public meeting in fear Alan Osborn might find out and come.

2. TeaPartyingHard

TeaPartyingHard Beach Comber

Is this a public meeting tonight, or are you just stalking her? Serious question. I just ran into her on the beach that one time by happenstance...But you give off a vibe like you're actively following her around or something. What's your deal?

Also, I haven't heard the tale of her writing an email telling someone not to publish a public meeting. I thought all public meetings having to do with county business would be posted on an agenda on a county website somewhere? I know they post videos of the county commissioner meetings and such. Public meetings seem like they'd be pretty difficult to keep a secret. How do you know it was a public meeting? What was the meeting about?

You seem to have a story to tell....Sounds juicy, where are the details, bro?

3. TeaPartyingHard

4. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Seems like the M key is sticking as well, as I keep seeing Comander spelled with two M's.

5. TeaPartyingHard

Meh, that's a common error to make though. It is an unusual spelling, so they get a pass on that.

I asked around about the "golf meeting" because I was curious. Apparently it's just a fundraiser thing they do every year to raise money for the 4th of July fireworks celebration, and I'm okay with that. It's got to be paid for some how, and it's a nice little celebration for family and kids and I'm glad our community does it.

I am still super curious about this supposed civil rights violation though. How does someone block your access from a public meeting unless you have a no trespass warrant or restraining order against you? Is the lawsuit because the person suing didn't know about the public meeting and that is supposed to be the commissioner's fault? Would this public meeting not be listed on publicly accessible city/county websites that post meeting dates and agendas? ....It just seems like a hell of a thing to have a whole lawsuit over. I'd like to know what I'm missing here. Surely there's more to it.

6. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Sorry 'bout that - many remember the correct spelling from when Sarah and her family owned Comander Funeral Home in DFS.
    But yeah, I am wondering what the real issue here is. If there is one.

7. WileCoyote

WileCoyote Beach Lover

I think this email is the basis of the suit.

image-3697121282.jpg

8. Misty

Misty Banned

Just my opinion but from reading the document above it doesn't appear to me that she was trying to prevent him from attending the meeting at all...they are public meetings. Alan has been very, very outspoken for a very long, long time about what he believed to be failures by the County regarding the comprehensive plan for Driftwood Estates and as it turns out, he was right....that doesn't mean he didn't piss off more than a few people along the way or that the County Commissioners always acted in good faith when when dealing with the magnitude of his complaints.

The comment (while inappropriate) by Ms. Comander appears to me to be more sarcasm than an attempt to actually prevent Alan from attending the meeting.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  9. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Well, if that's the case, she clear that up in her next scheduled deposition.

If it were only scarcasm, it shouldn't be an issue now, should it?

10. TeaPartyingHard

....So was that actually a public meeting? If so, what prevented Alan Osborne from going to government websites to see a list of meetings on the agenda?

As a taxpayer, I feel a bit insulted that someone would generate some huge lawsuit over a sarcastic comment in an email...and basically force us to use taxpayer money to litigate. When I heard civil rights lawsuit, I guess I had in my head that she kicked him out of a meeting based on his race or religion or something a bit more serious than sarcastically complaining about someone who is a thorn in the side type nuisance. This seems like the textbook definition of frivolous lawsuit.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who works for a living who hasn't perhaps inappropriately complained about a particularly difficult customer. It's human nature to want to vent about people being ****ty. If this lawsuit is about a corrupt politician....That's all the evidence there is? That's the worst thing this commissioner has ever done? Either there's more to this story or someone has way too much free time on their hands. This is disappointing, I was expecting something way juicier.

11. Misty

Misty Banned

Actually, I think there are way bigger fish to fry in the Driftwood Estates issue than whether or not a county commissioner is guilty of being a smart a$$....they are all guilty of that, including Mr. Osborne who allowed his own frustrations to boil over in public meetings.

12. Misty

Misty Banned

Just curious....why does there have to be a different thread created every time you have something to say about Ms. Comander?

13. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

While Alan Osborne is right about the the DRI issue on Driftwood Estates and has now been proven to be so, he is dead wrong on this lawsuit, IMO. In an email, it is impossible to determine jest or sarcasm as you cannot see the person in person. According to Commissioner Comander, this is what she had in mind. She is very intelligent, not stupid and has the common sense to know you cannot bar ANYONE from an announced public meeting. Furthermore, a similar complaint over this situation has already been denied by the Florida Ethics Commission. What Alan is doing, again in this individual's opinion, is frivolously costing all taxpayers money. I've been a strong supporter of Alan in his Driftwood Estates efforts and his bid for public office. Such support is certainly not there in this case!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  14. TeaPartyingHard

Well, did he successfully litigate the Driftwood Estates stuff? I don't understand why he wouldn't continue to focus his efforts there instead of going off on this silly, expensive legal tangent. This seems like something that is highly likely to get dismissed by a judge for lack of cause after the deposition phase.

From what I understand about the Driftwood issue, developers did not follow their originally submitted plans and overbuilt, which caused issues with drainage and that inconvenienced people who lived there and it could be argued that it interfered with their property values. Didn't the residents get together to sue the actual developer? Did anything come of that?

15. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Ask Alan. He does not acknowledge that Commissioner Comander supported his efforts much more often than she opposed them. After all, it is her job to hear both sides of the story and Sandestin's side was totally different from Alan's. I'll say it once again. In this instance, he is totally wrong, IMO. I'll be amazed if the legal system rules otherwise, but considering what I see out of the court system these days, nothing is surprising. Regardless of the results it is costing me, and every other taxpayer, money for something of which I disapprove. In fairness, it is not the first lawsuit brought by a constituent that was an unnecessary cost to the taxpayers.

16. Misty

Misty Banned

According to court documents Driftwood residents ceased legal proceedings against the County in 2013 in exchange for a county offer to address the drainage issues but an amended complaint states that didn't happen. The amended complaint alleges that the county, home builders and engineers conspired to violate the law by overbuilding in Sandestin.

That amended complaint also alleges the civil rights violations of Alan Osborne by Sara Comander.

17. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Does anyone know who is representing Alan Osborne? Is it the same attorney who represented Suzanne Harris in her lawsuit against the county?

18. Misty

Misty Banned

Shawn Heath is the attorney representing the Driftwood HOA and Alan Osborne.

19. TeaPartyingHard

Well if the agreed settlement to fix drainage issues didn't happen, why aren't they taking that back to court? Was suing the developer directly not an option for some reason? I'm curious as to why they've gone off on this tangent instead of sticking to the original issue, which seems like a valid one. Conspiracy in government always seems like quite a stretch to me...government workers aren't especially well known for their secret keeping abilities. What was the so-called incentive for the county to want to screw over Driftwood Estates residents? What are they getting out of this besides a lawsuit and a headache? I'm just a layman here, but I would expect such an issue to be addressed by the residents suing the developer and a judge ordering the developer to pay the costs to fix the drainage. If anything, I would expect the county to go after the developer for not following the submitted plan, in the form of penalties or fines or something, but I suppose that would depend on if there is any penalty in a statute to address what the repercussions are if the developer submits a plan but then builds something different.

20. Suzanne Harris

Suzanne Harris Beach Fanatic

Bob, Matt Gaetz represented me.