• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS
We are headed back to Seagrove in August but are considering another trip to maybe Mexico Beach in June. Just curious if the beaches & water in Mexico Beach are as nice as Seagrove, Grayton, etc...

It appears Mexico Beach is less commercialized which is great but just curious about the beach & water since that is the kids favorite place to hang out. Snorkeling & hunting shells. I also understand no one can predict the weather so you get what you get during the week your there. (unless youve been blessed by being able to live there 365).

Thanks for your help!

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
Lennons right i went to mexico beach and cape san blas last year on a 2 day journey expecting another grayton beach and was sorely disappointed. The beaches are nice but can't touch 30'a beaches as the waters not near as clear nor is the sand as nice. The town of mexico beach reminds me of panama city before the high rises in it being older structures and not 1-50th as nice as 30'a. Pt blank theres not many beaches in the world that can touch some of the areas like grayton.

Foodlover

Beach Fanatic
Oct 15, 2006
South Walton
We are headed back to Seagrove in August but are considering another trip to maybe Mexico Beach in June. Just curious if the beaches & water in Mexico Beach are as nice as Seagrove, Grayton, etc...

It appears Mexico Beach is less commercialized which is great but just curious about the beach & water since that is the kids favorite place to hang out. Snorkeling & hunting shells. I also understand no one can predict the weather so you get what you get during the week your there. (unless youve been blessed by being able to live there 365).

Thanks for your help!

I agree that the water and sand in Mexico Beach are not as pretty as ours. Same for Cape San Blas; however, Cape San Blas is very pretty in its own right. This little peninsula between the bay and the gulf has a state park at its point. The state park is very pretty with walking trails that meander along the bay. When I was there, the water in the bay was gorgeous and calm with beautiful color and clarity. There were quite a few kayakers in the water. It looks like a beautiful place to kayak on a calm day.

Another area in close proximity to Mexico Beach is Apalachicola and St George Island. The sand on St George Island is not as fine and white as that in South Walton, but there seem to be many more shells on the beach and the beach is dog friendly too! The water is not as pretty and clear as it is here either. I think maybe it has something to do with the proximity to the Apalachicola River. But that proximity to Apalachicola makes for great oysters!

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
I've spent a lot of time around Mexico Beach visiting family. The sand is soft and squeaky white but the water is not the same clarity and color. The upside is shelling. Lots of great shells. Great pier also, but the atmosphere is very different than Rosemary, Seaside, WaterColor, etc... Toucan's is not a 4-star establishment.

If you go, check out the state park on Cape San Blas. St. Joe Bay is a treasure.

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
I love Mexico Beach. I have been off and on there since I was a child and I have alot of friends and family that live there. The beaches are not as white and the area is not a *uppity* as Rosemary and Seaside, but it is a great quaint little place in its own right. I love the way the beaches are there and it is more protected by the pennisula so you don't really get as many riptides and the shells are easier to find and the sand bar is loaded with them.
Don't let Toucans spoil the bunch, there are tons of great little places there and there is an awesome little bar in Post St. Joe right on the docks that is a great place to eat oysters and drink beer and watch the boats come in.
Also, I have some very nice memories of Cape San Blas and the beaches there are amazing. Appalachicola is so much fun during the seafood festival amoung the tall trees with spanish moss hanging down.

30abob

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I spent my childhood Summer's at Mexico Beach... it hasn't changed all that much in the past 30 years!

As others have already said, the sand and water color (and clarity) are no match for SoWal. The one plus that Mexico Beach does have is the undertow and absence of riptides that are sometimes present in SoWal. Cape San Blas extends to the Eastern edge of Mexico Beach, straight across from the Mexico Beach / Beacon Hill (Bay Co. / Gulf Co.) line (it's also the beginning of the Central Time Zone). The cape evidently has the benefit of lessening the riptide / undertow.

It's a totally different experience than SoWal but has its merits.

wallymom

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2005
My hubby and I took a day trip to Mexico Beach/Cape San Blas, etc. from Sowal a couple years aga, just to see what it was like. We both kept agreeing that we couldn't get back to Sowal fast enough. Not that it was bad, it just wasn't for us. The homes are built on stilts, which is a look I think you can get in just about any beach town. It's not nearly as unique as Sowal. And the water/beaches aren't nearly as nice. Just a completely different feel...seemed kinda like a vibe you could get anywhere else BUT Sowal. Just my two cents.

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
My hubby and I took a day trip to Mexico Beach/Cape San Blas, etc. from Sowal a couple years aga, just to see what it was like. We both kept agreeing that we couldn't get back to Sowal fast enough. Not that it was bad, it just wasn't for us. The homes are built on stilts, which is a look I think you can get in just about any beach town. It's not nearly as unique as Sowal. And the water/beaches aren't nearly as nice. Just a completely different feel...seemed kinda like a vibe you could get anywhere else BUT Sowal. Just my two cents.

You will have to excuse me if I take offense to those of you snubbing where most of my family is from, but no, it is NOT Alys Beach and it is NOT Rosemary and it is NOT Seaside, thank god. I think it is perfect just the way it is. So PLEASE, if you feel you are too good to step on the soil of Mexico Beach and St. Joe and Cape San Blas, then please DO NOT and that way your attitude will be sure not to spoil some of the unspoiled places left along the coast.