• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Mike Huckabee: Cartoonist gives fake news on beach law
Mike Huckabee, Guest columnistPublished 11:06 a.m. CT Sept. 18, 2018 | Updated 2:50 p.m. CT Sept. 18, 2018

Walton County attorney Daniel Uhlfelder was confronted by deputies recently for trepassing at Dune Allen Beach. Courtesy of Daniel Uhlfelder, Pensacola News Journal

TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
A recent column by a Mr. Marlette is either based on utter ignorance, gross misinformation, or intentional dishonesty. His defamation of me is stunning and his lack of obtaining or reporting facts is unfortunate.

His labeling me a “liberal elitist” is laughable on its face. I’m called many things each day, but liberal isn’t one of them. And as someone who grew up as the first male in my entire family lineage to graduate high school and who grew up poor in south Arkansas, “elitist” is absurd.

More: Marlette: Huckabee pirates beach from the peeps!

No one has been “banned” from the beaches in Walton County. In my seven years owning my property, not once have I even asked someone to leave. Not ONCE. Even beaches deeded by the county to be privately owned are open for anyone to traverse, swim, fish. That’s undisputed.

The email to a candidate he referred to was one I sent to Trey Nick, candidate for commissioner in Walton County. I sent three emails and called and left a message for him. I received no response whatsoever, which was disappointing. If a person who wants to serve refuses to respond to a constituent before the election, I’m not optimistic that he will respond to a constituent after the election unless he only plans to serve those who agree with his views. This was especially sad on a personal level as I know Trey and have contracted him for catering in the past. His parents and siblings are lovely people and friends who until recently operated a restaurant in our neighborhood. I’m not sure why he would provide the writer with the email, but failed to even acknowledge it to me, a citizen, voter, and taxpayer in Walton County. (Editor's note: Mr. Nick did not provide the copy of the email obtained by the PNJ.)

Video of Walton County beach dispute shows importance of public beaches, leaders say

The writer clearly doesn’t understand ninth grade civics regarding “separation of powers” as the body that legislates can’t adjudicate. It’s not supposed to be like the Andy Griffith Show’s Mayberry, where Sheriff Taylor merely turned the sign on his desk around and instantly changed from executive branch to judicial. This is what the 5th Amendment calls “due process,” which is something that the columnist appears unfamiliar with. Should he bother to read it, he would further note that the taking of private property must be accomplished by eminent domain, which requires compensation to the private property owner.

More: U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson calls for special legislation session on beach access issues

Why I’ve been singled out from the nearly 1000 beachfront owners is a mystery to me, especially since I’ve not been one who has put out signs or ropes on my property nor asked anyone to leave my property.

Your writer further failed to mention that the email I sent to the Republican state senator who sponsored the bill in the Senate was sent AFTER the bill passed, and it was sent on the email “form letter” from her public website that I found by Googling it. If I were such an influential force for the legislation, wouldn’t I have emailed or called BEFORE the bill passed and done so using a personal email or cell phone instead of going to her website and sending a form letter simply thanking her for her actions?

Your writer is entitled to his opinion, but it’s reckless and irresponsible to be factually clueless about so much about which he formulates his “view.” And for the record, his claim that he called me repeatedly is untrue. I have never heard from him or heard of him. To borrow a phrase, that’s just “FAKE NEWS.”

Editor's note: Mr. Huckabee did not respond to multiple cell phone messages over the course of the month by Andy Marlette.

Mike Huckabee is the former governor of Arkansas and a resident of Walton County.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Even if Marlette new Mike Hukabee's cell number I wouldn't expect Huckabee to answer an unknown caller ID or number or even if he knew it was a "respectable" reporter like Marlette I still wouldn't blame Huckabee from not answering this "reporter's"call.

Agree with Teresa for once - Marlett is FAKE NEWS.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I think she was making fun of that rather tired Republican phrase, but ya'll ain't good at humor, I suppose.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Not hard to get under these people's skin is it? Just call them elitist or fail to respond to their email. No wonder people walking on their beach makes them rally the lawyers.

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
Fact or Fiction has been denying he was Huckabee for weeks.

Now denying his role in 631.

Or that he is Elite.

fake news.