• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Many families have been using the new playground at Helen McCall for awhile, but the finishing touches are on and there will be a Grand Opening Ceremony March 10th at 10 a.m. Lots of great SoWallers have contributed to this effort- hope everyone can make it out and celebrate!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
It wouldn't have happened without SoWal.com;-) And all because of one thread about the lack of a decent playground in South Walton, and the best part was meeting some really cool moms.

Thanks to Cindy Meadows, who really "got it" that South Walton needs community recreational places just like the communities have in North Walton, and to Cecelia ones, who didn't let it die and finished it!

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Thank you & all others for this fabulous park! I am looking forward to the finishing touches. Since baseball & soccer have started we have been there MANY nights playing. It's amazing to see how much has changed in the park over the years.

THANK YOU!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thank you & all others for this fabulous park! I am looking forward to the finishing touches. Since baseball & soccer have started we have been there MANY nights playing. It's amazing to see how much has changed in the park over the years.

THANK YOU!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Come to the opening ceremony and pass the word on to the parents with kids - it would be great to have a bunch of kids there. Mine will be in school that morning, or I would bring them (well, the 18 year old would probably take a pass!:lol:)

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Come to the opening ceremony and pass the word on to the parents with kids - it would be great to have a bunch of kids there. Mine will be in school that morning, or I would bring them (well, the 18 year old would probably take a pass!:lol:)

That day happens to be a professional day for the teachers, so the kids will be home. My now 14 and 16 year olds will probably take a pass too. It's sad that our kids are way past the playground stage.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Are we ever over playgrounds?

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach

Luckily there is no school on the 10th or 11th so we will may just be there (unless I can talk Mr. M2K into going out of town).

Looking forward to years of fun at the park!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
That day happens to be a professional day for the teachers, so the kids will be home. My now 14 and 16 year olds will probably take a pass too. It's sad that our kids are way past the playground stage.

Ha! HAd not checked the calendar! We will be there!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

Mission Play Park Grand Opening March 10
Walton County District 5 Commissioner Cecilia Jones announces a grand opening for Mission Play Park on Thursday, March 10 at 10:00 am. The park is located at the end of Moll Drive in Santa Rosa Beach, west of County Road 393 and south of U.S. 98.

As a part of Helen McCall Park in Santa Rosa Beach, the park offers a number of climbing features, slides, seesaws, and other activities for children on a safe surface. The facility includes a pavilion with restrooms, sidewalks and benches under large oak trees. It is located adjacent to the popular well-used sports fields contained in the complex to provide recreational opportunities for younger children. An adjacent eighty-space parking area is also under construction that will serve both the park and the sports fields.

Mission Play Park was conceived by a group of moms who recognized that the south Walton area was missing many of the vital recreational requirements for a successful family community. With the increasing number of children in the area, both full time and visitors, the county needed more places for them to play and for families to connect. The group spoke before the Board of Commissioners in April 2007 with a request for a park.

Since that time Cathy Potter, Jenny Dargavell, and Rhonda Cloutier of south Walton have worked closely with District 5 Commissioner Cecilia Jones to champion the cause of getting the park built. Using land purchased earlier in 2007, a plan was designed for the park, funding identified, and construction was begun. The project has moved slowly at times because of other demands on county resources, but it is finally complete.

The public is cordially invited to attend this grand opening to celebrate the newest addition to Walton County?s recreational facilities.

View attachment 19106

View attachment 19107

View attachment 19108

View attachment 19109

View attachment 19110

Okay, let's get going on that skate park...