• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
The county is going to present the plans for the new playpark at Helen McCall. The meeting is this Thursday, August 30th at 5pm at the TDC building on the corner of 98 and 331. I can't wait to see what they have come up with. Please attend this meeting to give your input and support the county's plans. Hope to see you there!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I just realized we had not posted an update. Hopefully SGB can come on and post more details and/or correct my info. There was a front page article about the meeting in the Beach Breeze this week, but I can't find it online.

Cindy Meadows, Ronnie Bell, and several others had the drawn plans for the recently acquired 10 acres at Helen McCall. The playground area will be at the front of the parcel, closest to the road. Behind it will be parking, restroom facilities, a multi-use field (soccer or football), and spce to eventually build a swimming pool. Winding around will be a really neat looking trail. There are some wetlands onthe property that affected how much of the 10 acres could be used, but it appeared to be a great plan for the space.

A $200K grant has been applied for, and there were a few changes made. Originally, the grant was going to be used for the playground, but by the time the legislature meets next spring, we find out about the grant status, and money is dispersed, we are talking Fall 2008 for a start date! So Cindy suggested using monies that the county has (and maybe SGB can tell us the name/source of this money- I can't remember) and starting just the playground part this fall, while applying the grant money to the multi-use field and infra-structure part of the project.

I am not sure what the next step is, but thanks SGB for her hard work, and Supermom for her great questions. It was good to see Beachmom and Mr. and Mrs. Greenroomsurfer there too!

Something for you swimmers to keep on your radar screen- there is a place for a pool. We just need to find some money.