Mohs Surgery

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Nomads, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Nomads

Nomads Beach Comber

We are leaving for Seagrove tomorrow afternoon. Our excitement is a little clouded. My husband just found out he needs Mohs surgery on his nose. We will have to have it done down there. Does anyone know a doctor in the area who performs this procedure? We would appreciate any info you can offer.

Many thanks.

2. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Nomad, there was a post a while back about a doctor opening an office in Seagrove. I'm not so good about searching for posts so maybe someone will remember the doctor's name and respond. Good luck!

3. Nomads

Nomads Beach Comber

We found a doctor in Ft. Walton Beach.

Thank you Mermaid for a quick response.

If anyone needs info, let us know.

We are so appreciative of this message board and always look forward to reading it.

I hope one day we can help someone else.

4. Landlocked

Landlocked Beach Fanatic

Hey, What's Mohs Surgery?

5. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Nomad...here's your first chance to help out! See, it didn't take long! Good luck with the surgery.

6. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

it's skin cancer surgery for the face. its a much more delicate procedure than regular melanoma removal, so that it leaves no scar ideally.

7. Nomads

Nomads Beach Comber

Well Landlocked, it is skin cancer surgery. They take a thin sample and exam it to see if they need to go further. Last time, they had to do it three times before they got it all. Many stitches were required but they did a good job. Bottom line - wear sunscreen now!!!!! Saw a man come out with his nose bandaged like Rudolph. He needed plastic surgery to repair the damage.

Thanks for the good wishes.

8. Nomads

Nomads Beach Comber

Thanks Sueshore

9. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Nomad, the salon where I get my facials sells this sunscreen and I think it's excellent (and I'm fair-skinned so I know about this). It's called Pro-Tect SPF 20, for high sun protection broad-spectrum coverage. It is made by a company called A-Cute Derm, out of Houston, TX. (800) 922-2883. I swear by this stuff!

10. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

Yes. Wear your sunscreen, and not just on your face. Hands, legs, the part line on your scalp. And please...if you have any freckles or bumps that are suspect in any way, please, please go get them checked. It was a friend of mine who urged me to do this in January because his sister was dying of melanoma. I agreed to do it for him, but didnt think much of it. Well, turns out his urging saved my life. Over the last few months I've had 4 different surgeries for skin cancer, including 2 melanomas and a few Moh's. It's all about catching it early. Because too many people love you. :D

11. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Katie, what a close call...I'm so glad you heeded your friend's advice!

The first time my parents ever spent a week with us on the Panhandle, my mother religiously applied her sunscreen--slathered it everywhere (and I mean everywhere). EXCEPT the tops of her feet! They got burnt to a crisp and swelled up and it was so uncomfortable for her. So Katie, you're right about being careful with the sunscreen. It saves in more way than one.

12. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Thanks to you Nomad, you have started a very imporatant public service here! KB...thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure many of us remember the days of no sunscreen and/or baby lotion to help us get that tan. I know y'all are religious about your kids being covered in sunscreen...if not, DO IT NOW! I wear at least a 45 spf on my face and 30 spf elsewhere.

13. drbawa

drbawa Beach Lover

I am the physician in Seagrove who has posted stuff on this site in the past. Unfortunately, there are very few dermatologists in this area and most of them are in Niceville or Fort Walton.

However, you can try calling Dr Scott Beals at 897-7546. You can also try Niceville Dermatology at 474-8386. If none of these work then you can call my office at 534-4170 and we can find you someone in Fort Walton.

Best wishes.

Dr Bawa
    534-4170

14. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Dr. Bawa, I'm so glad you saw this post! :clap_1:

15. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

We're very happy to have Dr. Bawa around. I'll be in SoWal this weekend and hope to stop by to get a few business cards to post in our cottages for guests who need a doctor during their stay (and for us should we ever need a doctor during one of our stays!).

16. drbawa

drbawa Beach Lover

Thank you very much. Happy to be of service....

Dr Bawa

17. hutch

hutch Beach Lover

Great post Doc! I was just telling my Vet how good they exam my dogs, can I get a exam. Her reply, only if you come in on all fours. I can do that. Great to have a doc on this board. If you need my help or advice in getting your bills paid, just let me know.

the hutch