• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Beach Runner said:
From what I've heard, the County has the funding to do beach renourishment for virtually all the beaches in Walton County, but they are having a major problem locating even a portion of the 500,000 dump truck loads of white sand that is needed to complete the work.
That is not what the scientist told us a meeting a couple of months ago. They said that there is more than enough sand.

It is on a fast track now, but the big hold up had been obtaining the permits from the DEP.

Amp22

Beach Fanatic
Jan 11, 2005
Beach Runner said:
From what I've heard, the County has the funding to do beach renourishment for virtually all the beaches in Walton County, but they are having a major problem locating even a portion of the 500,000 dump truck loads of white sand that is needed to complete the work.

That's completely off base.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
As I mentioned, one of the scientists who addressed Seaside, and later the public at the library a few months ago, said that there is plenty of the white sand to restore the beaches of Walton County. He addressed a specific location, which I think was Pensacola, located 50 miles to the west. The problem is the cost factor of shipping it here.

Anyway, this thread is about the horse sh_it colored dirt being placed on the beach. It is not because white sand is not available. It is because some people refuse to pay for the white sand and they don't give a crap about anything other than their house.

Amp22

Beach Fanatic
Jan 11, 2005
Beach Runner said:
This is from an email from one of my neighbors. He refers to the letter I've posted at http://home.earthlink.net/~beachrunner/beachRestoration.pdf.

This thread was about trucking in sand. Beach renourishment is not done by dumptruck as you implied. Also, funding is not mentioned in that letter.

Granted there is not enough white sand nearby to renourish the beaches artifiicially, as nature would do, given time. Renourishment is a process that will most likely have to be repeated again and again until the sand on the beach is totally different than what we're used to.

Amp22

Beach Fanatic
Jan 11, 2005
Beach Runner said:
Okay, thanks. I am just trying to understand the email from my neighbor.

The offshore pockets of white sand are limited. The current project on the west end of the county is taking sand from the pass at Destin, but they may suck all the white sand out and be left short.