• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ffmedic

Beach Crab
Jul 20, 2009
Walton County loses three supervisors | three, county, walton - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

I never had to deal directly with the planning department except for simple family lot split and never had any dealings directly with Ms. Blackshear. I do know that she has been a large part of the planning portion of Walton county and the EAR process and the Comp Plan Process. The Future Land Use designations and other material that planning department works with. I know little other than what has been in the papper but do you think her retirement will be a positive or a negative for the county?

The loss of two people in emergency management was probably follow up from the merger with the Sheriff taking over the 911 functions but still the loss of two is concerning. I understand that this will mainly effect the North end of the county because South Walton has its on Fire District but I live in the north end and think if the County has removed these Higher Ups then who else has been layed because you never hear of the low level staff just the big wigs and how will the lower level layoffs effect the County?

The loss was not to emergency management, it was to the Emergency Response Division. The division is two departments, Fire Rescue and Animal Control. The division lost it's director, but the Fire Rescue Department in one day lost the Fire Chief and Asstiant Chief/Fire Marshal. That is a total of five positions lost in Fire Rescue when you add this to the three firefigters that were cut this year.

Put in place to run the Division is the Deputy Director, who was over emergency management and 911 dispatch, which is now under the Sheriff (wonder why?). Mr. Douglas was the EMS Manager, but in 2001 South Walton Fire District took over EMS services south of the bay, and in 2006 Walton County EMS merged with Walton County Fire Rescue.

The Daily News quoted Lynda Robinson as saying the position of fire chief has been done away with, and that his responsibilities will be taken over by Mr. Douglass.

Does he know anything about Animal Control?

So my question is, does Mr. Douglas have what it takes?:dunno:

NorthCounty

Beach Comber
Jun 27, 2009
The loss was not to emergency management, it was to the Emergency Response Division. The division is two departments, Fire Rescue and Animal Control. The division lost it's director, but the Fire Rescue Department in one day lost the Fire Chief and Asstiant Chief/Fire Marshal. That is a total of five positions lost in Fire Rescue when you add this to the three firefigters that were cut this year.

Put in place to run the Division is the Deputy Director, who was over emergency management and 911 dispatch, which is now under the Sheriff (wonder why?). Mr. Douglas was the EMS Manager, but in 2001 South Walton Fire District took over EMS services south of the bay, and in 2006 Walton County EMS merged with Walton County Fire Rescue.

The Daily News quoted Lynda Robinson as saying the position of fire chief has been done away with, and that his responsibilities will be taken over by Mr. Douglass.

Does he know anything about Animal Control?

So my question is, does Mr. Douglas have what it takes?:dunno:

I must say of the three Chief Rivers was the only one to surprise me.

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
The loss of Pat Blackshear is a definite detriment to our county's long term planning capability. IMHO, she is the only person in the planning department with any conception of how long range planning should be conducted and how it should be implemented. It is also my feeling that you can kiss such innovative planning concepts as transect planning goodbye for Walton County. Oh, well, back to the good ole boy planning concepts which usually means no planning at all.

It was my distinct impression, based on her comments in several public meetings, that Ms. Blackshear strongly opposed implementing transect-based planning in Walton County.

I have to speak out on behalf of Planning staff, who do not deserve such criticism. The Planning Department has numerous dedicated and well qualified staff members, and I am confident that they can rise to meet the challenges facing Walton County.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
It was my distinct impression, based on her comments in several public meetings, that Ms. Blackshear strongly opposed implementing transect-based planning in Walton County.

I have to speak out on behalf of Planning staff, who do not deserve such criticism. The Planning Department has numerous dedicated and well qualified staff members, and I am confident that they can rise to meet the challenges facing Walton County.
Your opinion is welcome but as a member of the Planning board is, I'm sure biased on the part of the Planning department. As long as I'm slinging arrows, I might as well sling one in the direction of the Planning Board. Some of the members have been on there for eons. It is my opinion it is time for some new blood. Differences of opinion abide and I am only stating mine from what I have observed. And yes, I have attended Planning Board meetings. Suffice it to say one was enough.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Your opinion is welcome but as a member of the Planning board is, I'm sure biased on the part of the Planning department. As long as I'm slinging arrows, I might as well sling one in the direction of the Planning Board. Some of the members have been on there for eons. It is my opinion it is time for some new blood. Differences of opinion abide and I am only stating mine from what I have observed. And yes, I have attended Planning Board meetings. Suffice it to say one was enough.

New blood on the planning board but keep old blood in the planning department?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
That one was a surprise to me also. And the next department will be next week. No telling where this is heading and when it will end. But you got to admit, it is change.
Yeah, but is it good change. I guess we'll find out. Your point about old blood in the Planning department is well taken. I understand Pat's position is to be "absorbed" within the department.

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic

Yes, I think Kurt welcomes and encourages a variety of opinions. Thanks for honoring mine. Sling away!

FYI, a couple of months ago, I was replaced as a Planning Commissioner, I believe by an appointee of Cecilia Jones. I think I served somewhere between 2-3 years, though I'm not really great at keeping track of time.

When I was appointed, there was no training provided to me as a new commissioner. I had to ask repeatedly just to have some time with one of the county attorneys to get a lesson on Florida Sunshine Law. I don't know for sure about the requirements for the makeup of the board, but I don't think any PC member is required to have any credentials in planning, design, etc. So, while it is indeed true that several Planning Commissioners have been on the board quite some time, as a new commissioner, I found their experience and knowledge essential in helping me learn to understand the very complex matters we considered at our meetings. Even when I disagreed with their opinions, I was grateful for their insight and for their explanations of issues that were not immediately apparent to me. Continuity has its value.

I want to stress that none of the members of the Planning Commission receives any compensation for their service. Every now and again, the Planning Department might find it in the budget to serve us a sandwich, and occasionally kind citizens would send pizza so we could grab a quick bite of lunch or supper during breaks (some of those meetings are VERY long). Serving on this board is a 100% volunteer job, and requires many hours each month of plan review and meetings, especially over the last year going through the Comp Plan amendment process.

I was happy to serve and honored to have been included in the process of the Comp Plan Amendment; my sympathies go out to my replacement who was appointed 12 months into PC meetings and still a ways to go. I cannot imagine how tough it would be to get up to speed at that point!

I'd like to sling a little bit right back your way -- there's no way you could have gotten a complete picture or sense of how the Planning Commission meetings work if you only attended one meeting, so I'm having a hard time putting too much stock in your opinion due to your limited involvment.

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
THe Process

For those that are unaware - an assessment of each Department within the BCC controlled structure is being methodically made. We receive copies of each departments results and a careful read of the attached link might help some understand the process and how decisions for restructuring might be undertaken.

A close review of pages 20-29 might give a reader some insight.

http://www.waltontaxpayers.org/PDF Files/Org_AssessmentFire&rescue.pdf