• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Tupelo Honey

Beach Lover
Nov 4, 2006
here
Here is an article about dog flies and control with many references.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/IG/IG13300.pdf

As I stated in an earlier post, this was a major problem dependent on the wind conditions in Long Beach Island New Jersey were we vacation in summer, and they installed fly traps and it drastically reduced the fly population. It was quite evident in a beach community called Holgate (part of LBI) that we used to call Helsgate because it was near a tidal marsh and you couldn't get out of your car without being attacked by flies. Now we see very few.
The traps look like boxes. I am not sure exactly how they work, but apparently the USDA has a brochure called "How to Control House and Stable Flies (Dog Flies) without Using Pesticides" and the above article also has many references to articles about these traps.

https://listserv.umd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9502&L=dairynew&P=392

This is an excerpt of the USDA brochure. I have yet to find that one on-line yet.

The traps along with controlling what attracts the flies in the first place sounds like a great strategy!

Pitching this to the local government and residents as an alternative to pesticide sounds like a plan.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Everyone who's still remotely tuned in :blush: , think about this:

The FDA regulates what goes into products, but not what chemical reactions occur from two (or more) "safe" chemicals once combined in a product.

For example:
A & B are "safe" chemicals on their own. The have the GRAS label on them. (Generally Regarded As Safe)
C is a known toxin. It is not allowed to be used the the formulation.
So the company adds chemical A & chemical B to the product. But the combination of the A & B into this product (& the chemical reaction that occurs) now make chemical C, which is a known toxin. But, now it is allowed because it is not regulated by the FDA, only the original chemicals were regulated.

This is a loophole the size of Texas. These chemical reactions occur in things like pesticides and in products used daily, like the creme you lovingly put on your face at night to prevent wrinkles. But there's nothing we can do about it....

Or can we? We can choose to go the safer route. We might not understand all the ins and outs of everything, but as long as we know that we are making better decisions, then we have a fighting chance of not opening Pandora's box in regards to the known or unknown side effects of these chemicals that we are told are safe and non-toxic.

Each of us has a choice. It doesn't mean that we will always get it right or do the right thing, but at least we're trying to get it instead of just giving in to what someone else says just because it's easier.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
As I understand it, the skinprick test measures IgE reactions and is thus pretty good at teasing out hypersensitivity to common allergens (molds, pollens, cockroach, dust mites, dander, nuts, etc). It is cheap, convenient and uses a control to help validate results. That said, it is imperfect...I have seen people develop a nice wheal to tree nuts even though they ate them routinely, but all in all, it is a worthwhile test. That ELISA/ACT measures other antibodies that are not commonly thought to contribute to 'allergies' as we understand them, and it runs a small army of antigens guaranteeing some sort of 'result' that is of questionable import (except to the guy who owns the lab who will then try to sell you all manner of product to detoxify and live a shiny happy life!);-)

And since when is it abnormal for kids to have runny noses?:lol:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
OM-What are some toxic products that take advantage of the FDA loophole?:drink:

Tupelo-STILL waiting to know which artificial sweetener is toxic and at what concentration:popcorn:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
As I understand it, the skinprick test measures IgE reactions and is (except to the guy who owns the lab who will then try to sell you all manner of product to detoxify and live a shiny happy life!);-)

And since when is it abnormal for kids to have runny noses?:lol:

OM-What are some toxic products that take advantage of the FDA loophole?:drink:

Tupelo-STILL waiting to know which artificial sweetener is toxic and at what concentration:popcorn:

Shiny happy life? As in poo-poo that slides out happily & easily? :lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove:

Not a runny nose like this one.... it was GGGRRRROOOSSSSSSSS and it never stopped!!!!!

Get back to you manana about the rest. Mr. OM is home and this is our date time. I'm off for the night!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Maybe y'all can help me figure this out. I have tomato plants in old whiskey barrels (2 years out of the distillery, so they were pretty aromatic last year). They are producing fruit that are the size of OMBs when I see them one day and double in size in a few days. There are so many! I have not fed or sprayed them with anything.

I wonder if the mosquito spray gave them some sort of unatural growth spurt?:dunno: Or do you think it is the bourbon leaching out of the wood? Can they be considered organic if raised on leached bourbon?;-)

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Maybe y'all can help me figure this out. I have tomato plants in old whiskey barrels (2 years out of the distillery, so they were pretty aromatic last year). They are producing fruit that are the size of OMBs when I see them one day and double in size in a few days. There are so many! I have not fed or sprayed them with anything.

I wonder if the mosquito spray gave them some sort of unatural growth spurt?:dunno: Or do you think it is the bourbon leaching out of the wood? Can they be considered organic if raised on leached bourbon?;-)

Who cares. Just send me some. :lol:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Skunky, I read your post about wanting to share the comparisons of the bell curve with us for the life span of humans vs the bell curve of application of pesticides. I am curious to see how the bell curve of reported cases of cancer compares to the the application of the pesticides as well.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Finally, a quick comment regarding the evils of allopathic cures versus 'natural remedies';I can't think of ANY industry as poorly regulated as the natural remedy market. Essentially, as long as they put a statement on the label that they do not promise to 'diagnose or cure' any condition as well as 'these satements have not been evaluated by the FDA' , they can bottle and sell just about anything. Go on and look in your medicine cabinet, all the bottles are labeled as such. I will contend until the day I die that there is nothing 'safe' about some herbal remedy whose source, purity, manufacture, content, efficacy and understanding of long term implications of use are not regulated by anyone other than the manufacturer. Yet, the 'herbs' are 'natural', ergo safer. That makes zero sense to me. :dunno:

I am so glad you brought this up, Skunky. The natural food and vitamin industry has been trying to get the FDA to test their products for years, but they, unlike the pharmaceutical industry, do not have high powered lobbyists getting paid HUGE bucks. The pharmaceutical companies don't want you to eat healthy foods, because the pharmaceutical companies would lose billions, with a b, dollars in sales. I think the studies on marijuana would fall into this category, too. It seems that anytime the medicinal benefits of marijuana are brought up in the health industry, the gov't steps in and says that they don't have studies supporting the benefits. Hello, that might be because they are not allowing the studies to be conducted, "because marijuana is illegal." Give me a break. They will let the pharmaceutical companies test all kinds of crazy drugs like Oxycontin, but they won't allow studies on marijuana because it is illegal.:dunno: You do the math. They will allow studies on THC, the beneficial chemical in marijuana, but that is only because the pharmaceutical companies make it. Follow the money trail, and you will find pharmaceutical companies, not vitamin companies and soap makers.